Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: History of SKS/SKK rifles in NZ?

maybe it was along same lines as the newer AKs chambered in 5.56x39mm???...... carried my Chinese norinco/bisley bolt 7.62x39mm around today but the wind kept all deer and piggies well and truely safe from the hound and me.......

Had them back in the day, also had a stainless mini-14. The sks was a hell of a lot more reliable, and accurate, always took it out after goats and left the mini in the safe, piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    I'm asking myself, how much advantage would .223 have over 7.62x39 in an SKS? Lighter weight perhaps? I think 7.62 would have better close range knock down, and I have never heard anyone talk about super long range accuracy with an SKS. Is it just rarity collector value?
    I'd have one
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nearly bought a Russian one back in the '80's but the guy selling it had hack sawed the bayonet lug off
    It was $150 when the Norinco's were going for about $299.

Agree with the reliabilty and accuracy.

When I was in the states the guy i stayed with had one and while I was there bought a mag conversion that replaced the pin and mag housing with a 29 round one.
    I say 29 rounds as when he stuck 30 in it the first time and tried to close it, the top round got all bent out of shape.

The Norinco one I still have I picked up for $65 back around 1992, was like new with 10 shot mag and bayonet. Now 7 shot no bayonet lugs. Did have one I paid $25 for but that one went years ago in some trade or other.
    Did have a Russian one I paid the ridicules price of $100 for laminated stock and star on dustcover, probably should have held onto that one.