Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Hornady Sub-x

I am haveing a play with the 190 hornady subs today.
    Rifle is a 16 inch barreled Rem mod 7 (1 in 10 twist I believe).
    Have come down to 8 gn of Trailboss and still stable at 50 yards. I dont have a chrony, and my ears are crap, but guessing they are pretty darn close to subsonic or just below.
    Going to try with the suppressor on now
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I have just had a play with the 190 sub-X.
    I loaded up 6 rounds from 7gns to 12gns of Trail Boss at 1gn intervals. They didn't go supersonic until 12gns which has surprised me (1gn more than the 200gn Lapuas I was using previously). I am going to load up another batch between 10gns and 11gns tonight and see how they go.
    Rifle is a 16" T3.
    veitnamcam and Bill999 like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MB
    First blood to the Sub-X. Admittedly, not much of a challenge and sadly not a deer, but it fell down stone dead with a chest shot.

Feel free to ignore my last post
    Closer inspection showed that although the entry holes were pretty round, the projectiles tumbled on exiting 18mm mdf and left a nice elongated hole in the wood pallet 40cm behind the target. Recovered one very un expanded pill.
    Back to the drawing board and off to Bay audiology asap
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    First blood to the Sub-X. Admittedly, not much of a challenge and sadly not a deer, but it fell down stone dead with a chest shot.

What's the load and have you chronographed it?

MB
    300BLK factory round and I can tell you that they are subsonic, nothing more I'm afraid.

300BLK factory round and I can tell you that they are subsonic, nothing more I'm afraid.
    Ok. Thanks. I would think with the variation in rifles they are going through they would have to be loaded fairly "soft" to make sure they remain subsonic in everything.

@MB nicely done, do you have Skippies on the mainland up there or were you on a Island ?

Looks like Dama ?
    MB likes this.

MB
    CNI.

I had another play around with the Sub-x today.
    After establishing supersonic was between 11.5 gns and 12gns I loaded up 10, 10.5 and 11gns and shot 3 shot groups at 25ish meters.
    Name:  IMG_1706[1].JPG
Views: 601
Size:  1.61 MB
    I think I will go with the 11gn load and the next step is to validate drop out to around 100 yards.
    veitnamcam, Bill999, tikka and 4 others like this.

First victim falls to the 190gn Sub-X
    I went down to the range today with a heap of 11gn (Trail Boss) loads and began shooting and dialing at a variety of distances. To my surprise it turned out to be much simpler than I had though it was going to be getting a practical load sorted.
    I shot at 12.5, 25, 50, 60, 75 and 100 yards measure with my flash new Leica range finder (cheers @Sarvo). To cut a long story short, between 12.5 and 60 yards I had a 1/2" PBR with 6MOA dialed up. 75 yards required 9MOA and 100 yards 12MOA more than my standard hunting load. Too easy. I think even I can remember those figures in the field.
    After the sight in I went for a quick wander (with the 2 rounds I had left) and spotted a rabbit that I ranged at 40 yards. With 6MOA already dialed I took a steady rest on a handy Manuka and drilled it exactly where I had aimed. Don't you just love it when things go to plan.
    Name:  IMG_1713[1].JPG
Views: 748
Size:  4.92 MB
    tikka, nzvermin, MB and 1 others like this.

MB
    They're not exactly devastating are they? How do you think they will fare on larger animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    First victim falls to the 190gn Sub-X
    I went down to the range today with a heap of 11gn (Trail Boss) loads and began shooting and dialing at a variety of distances. To my surprise it turned out to be much simpler than I had though it was going to be getting a practical load sorted.
    I shot at 12.5, 25, 50, 60, 75 and 100 yards measure with my flash new Leica range finder (cheers @Sarvo). To cut a long story short, between 12.5 and 60 yards I had a 1/2" PBR with 6MOA dialed up. 75 yards required 9MOA and 100 yards 12MOA more than my standard hunting load. Too easy. I think even I can remember those figures in the field.
    After the sight in I went for a quick wander (with the 2 rounds I had left) and spotted a rabbit that I ranged at 40 yards. With 6MOA already dialed I took a steady rest on a handy Manuka and drilled it exactly where I had aimed. Don't you just love it when things go to plan.
    Attachment 148392
    Cheers @Shearer
    You live in a magnificent place in our "Gods Own"
    I do also -but I have not such g8 access to hunting grounds etc
    Wish I did
    Last edited by Sarvo; 03-09-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    Shearer likes this.

They're not exactly devastating are they? How do you think they will fare on larger animals?
    Hard to say. I think they will kill well if you are patient with your shot placement. Like any sub you really want to immobilize the animal. They have plenty of weight so through both shoulders or anywhere in the CNS is all good. I hate trying to track hit animals so if they can't move it makes things a lot easier. Hopefully I will have a crack at something a bit bigger soon.

they work fine on pigs
    just treat it like a subsonic 22 and you will be thrilled with the performance