Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: How to break in a new gun?

Quote Originally Posted by xring View Post
    Most interesting barrel break in I've ever seen:

AR10 Noveske Match Barrel Break In - YouTube
    Interesting for a match barrel. Luckily the Savage Axis isn't

Shoot, clean, rinse and repeat.

If the rifle is for real world use, getting humped up and down hills, banged and moved around, then shoot 'n clean will do.

If the rifle is for range only use with front rest, and rear bags with hand crafted individual reloads, then moved into the hand crafted soft cushioned case, then yeah, go to the extreme.

But it's a Savage Axis, so it can only do so much.
    Dougie, Toby, PERRISCICABA and 1 others like this.

I went though the long process with my new Savage when I bought it, my first new centrefire too. In all the cleaning with the copper remover I never saw any of the tell tale signs that copper was present nor being removed. Would I do it again? Probably not. But it was all trigger time and it was well and truly sighted in at the end of it and I had confidence in it's and my abilities.
    Gibo and PERRISCICABA like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

This is the correct technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg
    Toby likes this.

i never bother with breaking in any new barrels or rifles, i approach things from a scientific point of view, as no one can offer any scientific explanation as to what is happening by cleaning after each shot X amount of times, i throw it into the bullshit pile, i have also never heard or read of anyone say, "shit this rifle shoots shit, i wish i broke it in correctly"
    my method, clean new barrel, sight in, clean again, done.

your time, your ammo, your rifle, your choice.

that's how its done properly
    greg
    moonhunt, kiwi39 and Gibo like this.

This is what Savage Arms recommends.. Savage Arms
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Don't know if there's a rite way and a wrong way I went threw a box of ammo doing mine I sighted it in at the same time but 1 shot clean then take another and repeat took some time but it was time learning my rifle and getting used to it don't know if it was beneficial or not but I love my rifle it's no cannon and it's nothing flash but it does what I need it to and am happy with it
    If theres lead in the air theres hope

With all of the new rifles I have had the barrel has had a damn good clean before firing it for the first time and just clean the barrel after sighting in. You may want to take that savage axis to a gunsmith at some stage for a trigger job to take the half ton of pull needed to squeeze off a round out of it.
    Toby likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I've just gone and got myself one of those chai-frappe-latte-snobby rifles everyone seems to get these days (7mm08 for the ill-informed). (But at least it's not a Tikka)
    The amount of grease in the new rifle is amazing. After giving the bolt a good degrease and then oil, I've been working on getting the barrel clean.
    It has taken a shite load to get the barrel clean.
    People wonder why you have to clean a new rifle, until they clean one.

Next job is to sight it in. Will do it the long method and give the barrel a clean between shots. Even if it is only to make me feel good.
    Toby and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Rawiri View Post
    Hi,

So a couple of days ago I bought my first ever centrefire - a Savage Axis 7mm08 stainless.

I know it's a cheap gun and heaps of people probably think they are crap but it's all I can afford as I am a full time student...

So, being a brand new gun, I've been looking into how to break it in and the process to do so, holy crap there is so many different ways people recommend.

I was wondering what you guys reckon? What's the way you guys do it??

Cheers!
    Jumping on the bandwagon late here but WHAT??! That's a bloody fantastic rifle mate, don't let anyone tell you any different. You'll have it for a long time and shoot a lot of cool shit with it mate.

Simply unwrap, give a clean and GO HUNTING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Jumping on the bandwagon late here but WHAT??! That's a bloody fantastic rifle mate, don't let anyone tell you any different. You'll have it for a long time and shoot a lot of cool shit with it mate.

I thought you had the Trophy Hunter Dougie? Sorry for being so nosey

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post

The marlin X7 is way better and in the same price range, as long as the rifle fits him properly when shouldering then not a problem as it is a good starting point just to get out there and get hunting, I just do not like the axis after handling one in the shop when they came out biggest put off for me was how heavy the trigger pull was, it may have been improved by now I do not know. I started out with a shit rifle for my first brand new one which was a mossberg ATR100 infact I have had two of them but never kept them for long best rifle I ever had was an old spoterised carl gustaf in 6.5x55 that I picked up for $550 that thing could shoot the hairs off a gnats arse, I like my remington 700 even though it will never out shoot that old 6.5 I had.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

yeah lucky you didn't buy a tikka its shit house buying a rifle thats straight awesome out of the box
    Dougie, kiwi39, Gibo and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by logesearle View Post
    I thought you had the Trophy Hunter Dougie? Sorry for being so nosey
    Yup I do but love the model 16 as well

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    yeah lucky you didn't buy a tikka its shit house buying a rifle thats straight awesome out of the box
    An doesnt need cleaning