Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to remove paint without damage

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Just be a bit careful with paint stripper, in these days of fast / instant results some are very aggressive ( like Rushy after 6 Waikato's ) they may etch into the steel and be plain brutal on alloy . Solvents tend to be pretty good on steel and sub straights but that can go south if the right solvent for the purpose isn't used.
    I would be very hesitant to use paint stripper at this point.
    The rule of thumb is to start off light.... solvent and progress if it doesn't work. Abrasion is probably in this case last on the list.
    In this case I may use a fine scouring pad to break the gloss / matt finish off the top surface which forms tiny valleys for the solvent to work on rather than a flat surface ( i am talking microscopic here not 60 grit sandpaper )
    i used tergo and a heated barrel/action on a mossberg shotty years back after a muppet had painted it "camo" . it takes a couple of goes but it left the bluing just fine apart from the usual wear marks he admitted it already had.
    it always a case of gently gently softly softly rather than rip shit and bust
    Beetroot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    @csmiffy , hi mate, happy new year.you will be able to pull it back to a point where you re - blue it or cerokote it
    @viper happy new year back.
    already done. see bsa mode E in the project sections. cold blue job so not fantastic but ok
    viper likes this.

The metalwork is stainless so it should make things less risky
    I'll start with brake cleaner because Iv got it on hand and it's at the gentler end of the options
    Worst case scenario is it gets a good clean

@Bill999 to remove the paint first take the cats tail and use this to wipe thinners over the areas where you would like the paint removes.
    Next place cat under your arm and put tail in mouth. Then as you squeeze the cat bite down on tail as you would play the bagpipes......this won’t help remove the paint but should be fun to watch
    I by the time you have gotten to stage two you will be laughing so hard and in need of A&E that you will have forgotten all about the paint.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    @Bill999 to remove the paint first take the cats tail and use this to wipe thinners over the areas where you would like the paint removes.
    Next place cat under your arm and put tail in mouth. Then as you squeeze the cat bite down on tail as you would play the bagpipes......this won’t help remove the paint but should be fun to watch
    I by the time you have gotten to stage two you will be laughing so hard and in need of A&E that you will have forgotten all about the paint.
    You had me belly laughing and no one needs to see that. The sound would be the same as bagpipe but much louder.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.