Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: How to remove stripped scope ring screw?

With a dremel cutting disc, cut a notch across the screwhead for a broad flathead screwdriver and you should be able to get it out.

Alternatively, looks like you can access the bottom end of the screw and add a notch at that end for a smaller screwdriver.

BUT first I'd try and get a broken screw extractor. Won't be the only time you need one. Get at M10, bunnings, Hammers, Tool shed etc.

Name:  extractors.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  166.7 KB
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    one of these days someone will make Stainless steel screws with square head hole.....and this will overnight become a NON issue forever more.
    You actually want the screws to be of softer metal than the rings, otherwise when things go wrong (and they will!) you will strip the thread out of the rings, wrecking the rings instead of wrecking a cheap easily replaceable screw.
    Cordite likes this.

nope I actually want something that doesnt strip and will last forever..WHY I use weaver clip over rings,which have simple slotted head,the only issue I have had in 30 years of usage was during period when scopes got swapped so often they got dizzy,I owned a redfield bearcub 2 3/4x that had been painted matt black so was couple of layers of paint fatter than normal,it stretched rings,so simply squished them back in a bit and she good as gold again...then bought 2nd set and used one new and one old on each rifle....tip for folks using these rings,put one on each way so final tighten doesnt twist scope.

I would suggest you get a little more aggressive with the torx bit. Grab the next size up - that will not fit into the hole - then hammer it in.

You'll know you've picked the right size when either the bolt comes out or it snaps.

Next option is to just use a 5mm drill and drill the head away leaving the threaded stub in the bottom part of the ring.