Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NewbieZAR

Thread: Howa barrel

Howa barrel

hey peeps. just wondering. I have a Remington 788 223. i started a dangerous thing by thinking about a fast twist barrel after seeing a Howa take off 1-8 18" barrel on Trade Me.
    Just waiting to hear back on the thread diameter. if it's the little action its a no-go, but if its the 26mm tenon thread I think it might work.
    the 788 has quite a long thread and the front portion doesn't have much there either with the relief for the action screw so if the thread didn't quite clean up might still be ok as there would be heaps of new thread
    Howas have a small recess for the bolt head so that would have to come off anyway so that removes a couple of threads as well.
    I can do the machining on the barrel but would have to give it to a friendly gunsmith to rechamber so costs would be minimal
    Thoughts?

Walking my rifle
    @Jaco Goosen will be able to answer, he worked on my 788 and knows lots about howa.

From memory the howa thread is smaller diameter
    csmiffy likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

@NewbieZAR initial googling suggests that the normal actions might work but the mini action definitely won't. It's only 22mm diameter so a no go

Your 788 will have a 1” diameter and 20 tpi thread.
    Your Howa barrel will be 1” with 1.5mm pitch.
    The closest metrics thread pitch to 20 tpi is 1.25 mm.

I have rebarreled a 788 will a barrel blank in the past ….
    And I have rebarreled my sauer 80 with a Howa barrel as these two ( sauer and Howa) share the same pitch .

I think that you will struggle with your project , unless you re use the original barrel as a stub and turn the Howa barrel to a smaller diameter to either sleeve or screw into that stub. Lot of work involved…

Yeah that's a bugger @Friwi. Nope, while I do want to have a go at barrel stubbing one day it won't be on this Thought Howa thread was bigger in diameter. If its only 25mm then would basically have to turn off the threaded part of the barrel and start again. As long as the Knox form is big enough.

I was going off this info from a machinist forum in the US

Name:  20231008_122209.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  3.21 MB

Name:  20231008_114912.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  3.34 MB