Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: hunting stock design

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Stocks look great.
    I like the Tikka design but the factory one size fits nobody stocks are too short for me. Longer LOP would be great - either a longer stock or thicker pad options.
    That's the good thing about carbon...super easy to shorten and that Husky will be my grandsons weapon in a few years...spacer pads might be the go...the length of the mold presents some challenges already.

Sako Finn2 adjustable works well. Pretty simple construction too.
    Name:  IMG_0616.PNG
Views: 268
Size:  69.0 KB
    25 /08 IMP and 10-Ring like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    That's brilliant feedback...Beretta aren't mugs and their stock design isn't an accident...they are trying to cater to everyone.

I'm still developing a process that's a little different but I'm pretty sure I can build a rigid stock lighter than what's on the market now.
    I hope to sell some of my development stocks to recover the cost of materials soon (like the one above)...they are perfectly good and will be guaranteed but the finish isn't perfect. A paint job would finish them but I don't have time...
    I'd be keen on one of the Husky stocks, think I have a rifle or 2 that will fit.
    Fisherman and Shearer like this.

If you are running any sort of dialing/bigger glass on a tikka style stock the comb is way to low. This doesn't matter for your average bush gun with a 3xxmm objective on it but is a royal pain if shooting an LR gun prone.

The adjustable systems like the Finn2 above offer the best of both but come at a weight penalty.

Personally I love a vertical pistol grip and high comb when shooting prone/hunting open country(rifle slung more than carried). However I much prefer a classic swept grip with a medium comb for bush hunting (rifle in hand all day) I also prefer a narrower profile for my bush gun as it feels better in hand. Forend can be nice and short as well, keeps weight down and facilitates short barrel use with suppressor if required.

I think the logical choice would be to build 2 stocks, one for the LR/open country guys and one for the standard bush hunter. Id be all over something like the finn2 for my 284 tikka
    Fisherman, Moa Hunter and WillB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    It would be good to see some photos of what you came up with...really interested in the effect of the cheek riser had on how vertical your head is. I suspect an advantage of foam is that it conforms to the shooter and allows the head to stay vertical (which I think is massively important in all sports)
    Yes to a point. It's 2 layers of bedroll and somewhat compressed with taping down.

My version below. Doesn't look very pretty but it works. Originally was duct tape (silver) that started to come off after a couple of years around the grip so got another layer of strapping tape over it.

Name:  Vanguard (1).jpg
Views: 350
Size:  399.6 KB

Name:  Vanguard (3).jpg
Views: 318
Size:  325.5 KB

Name:  Vanguard (5).jpg
Views: 301
Size:  246.9 KB

Name:  Vanguard (4).jpg
Views: 368
Size:  136.7 KB
    WillB likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

One way of dealing to a multitude of fit would be to make the stock with a small flat profile that various hand swell shapes can be fitted to. (In a similar way that you can swap AR type grips for one of a different shape. ) Think something like the shape of a 25x50 on its edge then add the shape to it afterwards. You would be able to customise shape, and material, texture and density. (soft grip, moulded, firm or wood etc)

If you are making one for yourself this wont be needed, but if you were making them for others this would allow for alteration and fitting at later dates as well
    Fisherman, WillB and Joe_90 like this.

im starting to really like the old walnut stocks
    Fisherman likes this.

The only problem with making stocks, is if you are doing it on a commercial basis and the new legislation goes through you will need a dealers licence.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    The only problem with making stocks, is if you are doing it on a commercial basis and the new legislation goes through you will need a dealers licence.
    That would do kill it for sure...that or a fatal disease from all the epoxy and dust...

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    I'd be keen on one of the Husky stocks, think I have a rifle or 2 that will fit.
    You could live with that pistol grip?...not long ago I thought about offering the complete package.

One thing I'd like to see: Carbon stocks aimed at people who have rifles with nice wooden stocks, but want a duplicate carbon stock for rough use. At the moment, most of the carbon stock makers are all making the same-old Tikka, Remington-esque stocks; many of which have high combs, and are just plain chunky in general.

But what if you want an exact carbon replica of a stock you already have and love? I.e you've got a safari style rifle with a stock with lots of drop?
    Bagheera and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    Yes to a point. It's 2 layers of bedroll and somewhat compressed with taping down.

My version below. Doesn't look very pretty but it works. Originally was duct tape (silver) that started to come off after a couple of years around the grip so got another layer of strapping tape over it.

Attachment 123027

Attachment 123028

Attachment 123029

Attachment 123030
    You seem to have kept that riser slim and the angles look good. The pistol grip looks like its nicely in between vertical and swept right back.
    Something most people could live with and I think that's the way to go. I got carried away with the Husky stock.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    One way of dealing to a multitude of fit would be to make the stock with a small flat profile that various hand swell shapes can be fitted to. (In a similar way that you can swap AR type grips for one of a different shape. ) Think something like the shape of a 25x50 on its edge then add the shape to it afterwards. You would be able to customise shape, and material, texture and density. (soft grip, moulded, firm or wood etc)

If you are making one for yourself this wont be needed, but if you were making them for others this would allow for alteration and fitting at later dates as well
    It could be done with some thought...I'm not seeing many of the Tikka vertical pistol grips tho.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 30-10-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    One thing I'd like to see: Carbon stocks aimed at people who have rifles with nice wooden stocks, but want a duplicate carbon stock for rough use. At the moment, most of the carbon stock makers are all making the same-old Tikka, Remington-esque stocks; many of which have high combs, and are just plain chunky in general.

But what if you want an exact carbon replica of a stock you already have and love? I.e you've got a safari style rifle with a stock with lots of drop?
    My Husky stock was built off a wooden stock that was way to short. Its not rocket science but its a shit load of work.

Take a look at the sauer 100 stock and the 101 as well.
    Fisherman likes this.