Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: I want to build a pig

GWH
    Here are my two bush pig type rifles.

The T3 reamed to 284win with 17" barrel. Running 162 amax I'd happy shoot deer to 600 in right conditions.

And the other is a Mod 7 7mm08 chopped to 15". Just running a 120 NBT at 2900 which I'm happy with to 400. Might try some 140s or 150s in it.

Note. The can on the t3 only has 2 baffles on it in pic, normally run the standard 4. But they are currently on another can which is buried in my pack ready for fly-in tomorrow.

Depending on what you do for a barrel, it's possibly the more expensive way of doing it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Here are my two bush pig type rifles.

The T3 reamed to 284win with 17" barrel. Running 162 amax I'd happy shoot deer to 600 in right conditions.

And the other is a Mod 7 7mm08 chopped to 15". Just running a 120 NBT at 2900 which I'm happy with to 400. Might try some 140s or 150s in it.

Note. The can on the t3 only has 2 baffles on it in pic, normally run the standard 4. But they are currently on another can which is buried in my pack ready for fly-in tomorrow.

Depending on what you do for a barrel, it's possibly the more expensive way of doing it.

or find a silly bugger to buy a new 7mm08 add long mag and bolt stop cut and thread barrel to 17" then sell for $950 2 weeks later
    GWH, Gibo and Mangle like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    or find a silly bugger to buy a new 7mm08 add long mag and bolt stop cut and thread barrel to 17" then sell for $950 2 weeks later
    Who would do such a thing? 😉

buzzman and Gibo like this.

You want to rebarrel clearly but for the cost of a thread why not give the 270 a burn in a 16" barrel?
    Already got all the reloading gear etc
    puku, 7mmsaum, tikka and 5 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You want to rebarrel clearly but for the cost of a thread why not give the 270 a burn in a 16" barrel?
    Good idea, use 140g projectiles, magnum primers and 2208 powder for a quick shove in that short tube, the velocity and long range retained energy will surprise you.
    puku, GWH, Shearer and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Good idea, use 140g projectiles, magnum primers and 2208 powder for a quick shove in that short tube, the velocity and long range retained energy will surprise you.
    110gr barnes for a point and shoot 0-300y load?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Wouldn't mind something a bit "nicer" (they told me this would happen when I got my first Sako..) but I suppose the whole idea of a pig is exactly that it's just a thrasher, have only put a crappy old weaver V9 on the T3 and fired a few shots through it to see how it went, two shots touching and the other not far off at 100yds, then I told it "you disgust me" and put it back in the safe.
    HaHa. My T3 bush pig wears a crappy old V9 too. Hasn't let me down yet.
    Name:  2T3s.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  664.4 KB
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Caretaker
    110gr barnes for a point and shoot 0-300y load?
    That's ok if you are well disciplined, but often when a longer shot turns up -your tempted to give it a go with the Barnes and you end up with a very long ever diminishing blood trail with no animal at the end of it.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

When i read that I instantly imagined you as that little mexican girl that says "porque no los dos/why not both?" And its such an awesome idea that everyone crowds round and lifts you in the air and starts chanting and celebrating
    puku, veitnamcam and Shearer like this.

My BSA is 17.5. Does everything I want it to. Every living thing it's been pointed at has dropped on the spot

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    That's ok if you are well disciplined, but often when a longer shot turns up -your tempted to give it a go with the Barnes and you end up with a very long ever diminishing blood trail with no animal at the end of it.
    They do expand down to lowish velocitys but yes work best going as fast as possible to transfer some shock....its a pig..for the bush or take one of the other two?
    mikee and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

When i read that I instantly imagined you as that little mexican girl that says "porque no los dos/why not both?" And its such an awesome idea that everyone crowds round and lifts you in the air and starts chanting and celebrating
    The T3 270 only has a 22" barrel anyway (I think) which is too short for the calibre so you may as well chop it.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yeah chop the pooseventy, be something a bit different.

I'm starting to think this could be fun... have just been reading some American forums and a bloke cut a 270 to 16" and was getting 2780fps from a 130gr sst being pushed by H450 (2209). As has already been pointed out I reckon some 2208 could improve on that. A 150gr LRAB being launched at 2600 would hold 1000 ft lbs to 650 yards... hmmmmm

I'm starting to think this could be fun... have just been reading some American forums and a bloke cut a 270 to 16" and was getting 2780fps from a 130gr sst being pushed by H450 (2209). As has already been pointed out I reckon some 2208 could improve on that. A 150gr LRAB being launched at 2600 would hold 1000 ft lbs to 650 yards... hmmmmm
    H450 is more equivalent to 2213 in the 270. It replicated my 2213 loads but gave a bit more oomph.
    I've got some here that I will never use. You can have it if there is some way of you getting it. About half a can.

V100 in a shorter barrel might be the go too.
    Shearer and Ryan_Songhurst like this.