Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: I want a lever action .22?

Personally have a Winchester 94/22 myself. Like haven't used it in a while. You need to be 'positive' when working the lever otherwise it'll jam. Haven't used it in a while, been having too much fun with my 17...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  27877929-3530-4DC3-ABEA-6DC773CC1CED.jpeg
Views: 453
Size:  931.1 KB
    That’s mums golden boy
    I reckon its the coolest looking of rimfire levers
    I have a 44/40 winchester 1866 repo also brass frame guns are cool

Mmmm ... lever 22s As a longterm rimfire and lever buff have had most of the levers and given them a good workout. I agree pretty much with Viper.

The Henry is to be avoided - esp if you're doing range work. Bought a new one and it was nicely constructed with butter smooth action but was hopelessly inaccurate after 4-5 shots. Off the bench it went from 3/4" grouping at 50m with first few shots to 2-4" groups. Thin barrel prone to heat distortion. After full bench test (failed badly) and some hard questions to Henry president Antony Imperato it went straight back to shop for refund. Not an original Henry design but a rebranded rifle that's been round for years as (from memory) Erma, Iver Johnson etc. Don't buy it if you want range accuracy. For this reason also avoid Erma.

Norinco lever is what it is - can be rough and ready action but often quite accurate.

Beyond that we are somewhat spoilt for choice - there are several very good lever 22s and its a matter of personal preference which you choose. Marlin39A a beauty with microgroove barrel - very accurate with CCI ammos. Winchester 9422 a very well made wee classic - also accurate. Browning and Miroku excellent wee 22s. And the sleeper in the field is the Ruger model 96 - kept ours for years for my boys as it was such a marvellous little hunter. Ruger 96 much better rifle than our ruger 10/22 semis - no blowback jamming of course when under heavy use, and consistent 0.7" groups at 50m - unlike the stock Ruger semis.

Go for one of this group - Marlin, Winchester, Browning/Miroku, Ruger 96. My personal favourite is the Winchester 9422 but it really does come down to personal preference as they're all fine little lever rifles.

PS my Henry lever was the standard H001 model. Their Goldenboy variant has alot heavier octagonal barrel which may solve potential heating and inaccuracy issues. Have yet to test this Goldenboy variant.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 05-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    northdude, viper and Blisters like this.

Awesome @mudgrips i had a play with the browning the other day and i think i like it

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    hey @Double Shot swap the laminated stock from the wmr to the 22lr and I will look after it for you.
    Imagine if you will @berg243, that very rifle sitting in this stock with orange rings... will soon be a reality...

Name:  17b314d18x22.png
Views: 403
Size:  117.3 KB

That would be a big fat NO! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Awesome @mudgrips i had a play with the browning the other day and i think i like it
    @Blisters If that is what you like, look what popped up on tardme today....https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=...C-E658893F5DCF A Miroku BL22 (Browning BL22) and listed at $299....

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    meanie might have to get my brother to find one in the us then.
    Might have to make it 2

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    @Blisters If that is what you like, look what popped up on tardme today....https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=...C-E658893F5DCF A Miroku BL22 (Browning BL22) and listed at $299....
    Choice thanks chucked a bid in!

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Mmm cheap-great buy if its any good-the threaded for silencer bit is very handy.
    Worthwhile checking the mag tube for dents and how good the spring is before pestering a gunsmith, otherwise it starts getting into the cartridge lifter and timing etc.
    Still cheap enough to have a play that's for sure.
    Blisters likes this.

There's a Miroku ML-22 on TM, bidding at $304 at moment. Has a feeding issue, but shouldn't be too difficult to sort???

Yup think he has bid on that one.