Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Importing rifles from USA

Importing rifles from USA

Has anyone recently imported a rifle from the USA?

I’m looking into bringing in a muzzleloader and just trying to figure out the basics. Do I just need to get a Permit to Import from the Firearm Safety Authority and then find an USA seller that exports?

Or do people normally use an agent?

Black powder stuff isn't considered a firearm,check with the State Department but I have never had any trouble. Get a import permit and a mate to send it FedEx.

Edit to add: it's not considered a firearm stateside.
    cb14 and canross like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Thanks norsk. That's interesting. If they aren't consider a firearm perhaps I can buy one in Oct when I'm there and send it to myself. Time for more googling.

Quote Originally Posted by cb14 View Post
    Thanks norsk. That's interesting. If they aren't consider a firearm perhaps I can buy one in Oct when I'm there and send it to myself. Time for more googling.
    Yes you can and that would be the best way to do it.
    cb14 likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Only catch is I need the serial number for the NZ import permit so will buy, get the permit and get a mate to send. Thanks for your help!

It might be less expensive to bring it in a gun case that is TSA approved if you are going to be flying there and back to NZ. Shipping costs are ridiculous from the US. When bringing rifles into NZ after getting my NZ license, I just had to do the normal permit process with the police. The only problem I have had was custom built rifles that they didn't have a data base for. They wanted much more info (including pictures) of the rifles.
    Cheers
    canross likes this.

Bus driver
    Shipped many…. Things have changed in the states and depending what state u buy it in…. Make sure you keep and get ALL the paperwork with said “apparatus”…. And then … checking on how u are going to ship it,aircraft,sea etc… make inquiries as to whether they will accept the shipment and what paperwork they want…. And how it is to be shipped ,ie… taken apart,pieces,case ,locks etc etc ….

My time flying for the airlines ,I have seen major cockups due to the smallest of details…. Go overboard in getting the required paperwork and creds for “said” piece….
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by f-class shooter View Post
    It might be less expensive to bring it in a gun case that is TSA approved if you are going to be flying there and back to NZ. Shipping costs are ridiculous from the US. When bringing rifles into NZ after getting my NZ license, I just had to do the normal permit process with the police. The only problem I have had was custom built rifles that they didn't have a data base for. They wanted much more info (including pictures) of the rifles.
    Cheers
    Yes, my latest plan is to use the normal Import Permit and bring the muzzleloader back with me.
    Last edited by cb14; 01-02-2024 at 08:18 AM.

Bus driver
    You should definitely get the permit on the kiwi side of things…..I can guarantee you that the USA side of things they will easily sell you the merchandise….THEY WILL NOT SHIP IT OVERSEAS FOR YOU……you will have to do the hard yards from the New Zealand side….I am presently going through this now…and have done it many times…….I have a mate that owns a large firearms store(Keith’s sporting goods)….they will not take the risk or time to do this anymore ,it has become very costly for them .

Bus driver
    I’d be interested to find out what state you intend to purchase the muzzleloader……..if it’s in Oregon I can help you …pm me

I will definitely get the NZ import permit and am now just looking at the best shipping option.

In Oct I arrive into Salt Lake City and am hunting in Wyoming. Cabela's just north of SLC would be the easiest option. Thanks for the offer to help. I plan to head back to Oregon one day but its hard to get good non-resident tags (compared to WY, MT, CO etc).
    199p likes this.

Bus driver
    Cabelas …perfect…hopefully you have a few mates there that can help out with the transaction……WORD OF CAUTION!!….If you have someone else buy it for you ,then sell it to you….make sure you get all of their info…..Drivers license,address,phone number…….etc etc……ALSO….if you can find a Notary(local)who will notarize the transaction(which Ive done before)that will also legitimize the transaction…

I know that sounds like a little bit of overkill,….but give been down that road…kiwi customs,Police scan and will make it fucking difficult over the smallest of matters……it just shows you are trying to do the right things and theres no skullduggery going on……

Bus driver
    Shipping..my advice…buy a lockable gun case…transport as “CHECKED”luggage with “copies”of all of the “ORIGNIAL”documents……Ive done it other ways,but it becomes more expensive than the firearm was worthy….
    cb14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Shipping..my advice…buy a lockable gun case
    Harbor Freight sells a great knock-off Pelican case> Tried to attach a link, but it's not working. It's called an Apache 9800 gun case.
    Cheers
    cb14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by f-class shooter View Post
    Harbor Freight sells a great knock-off Pelican case> Tried to attach a link, but it's not working. It's called an Apache 9800 gun case.
    Cheers
    Thanks for that. I have a good case that I’ve used to take my rifle to USA.