Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Initial info on pistol grip law change.

Not yet, I think they are still trying to formulate how to deal with the consequences.

Two local stores have sold over 50 AR's each in "A" cat guise so there are a lot of them about now.

I have gone from owning one on E to one on E and 3 on A. So who knows. I think that the main issue is how they are gonna deal with it. Wasn't an issue to get import permits from the local AO for all the parts required to build 3 "A"s.

It means I can use the same type of rifle I am familiar with and comfortable with from 3 gun shooting for varminting etc with out all the bollocks. ie my missus can shoot one where the law says she cannot even pick up my E and pass it to me to put in the safe.

If they just used common sense and restricted possession of large mags to "E" endorsed FALs and threw the absolute book as is "no longer fit and proper" at anyone who has large mags AND the rifle they fit in their possession without the appropriate endorsement,

But then its all bollocks anyway. as I have always maintained there are not levels of "fit and properness" you are either "fit and proper" or you are not.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    So basically.... back to status quo - prior to the bumhole thing and all the panic and bullshit...?
    If anything A cat has gone from 7 -10 rds, so in keeping with the laws intention over the last almost 20 yrs, we're actually GAINED something..

Or way off base???

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    So basically.... back to status quo - prior to the bumhole thing and all the panic and bullshit...?
    If anything A cat has gone from 7 -10 rds, so in keeping with the laws intention over the last almost 20 yrs, we're actually GAINED something..

Or way off base???
    Too soon to telll
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Nothing's been confirmed to the best of my knowledge. I would imagine the status quo would go pre butthole till the next time they want to play round with A cats. We won't know for sure till closer to December.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Too soon to telll
    I should have indicated some sarcasm there
    those that actually have a law degree or more than 1/2 a clue prob were invited and participated in a meeting or 2 of importance rather than stamping feet and banging chests
    My guns are safe from what I know

I should have indicated some sarcasm there
    those that actually have a law degree or more than 1/2 a clue prob were invited and participated in a meeting or 2 of importance rather than stamping feet and banging chests
    My guns are safe from what I know
    Mine too, worst case I'll have 3 new "e"s

Mine too, worst case I'll have 3 new "e"s
    3? Ya lightweight
    Technically I'll have 32

I've got my fingers crossed for a safe full of E's. But I'll still keep bringing in A's regardless.

3? Ya lightweight
    Technically I'll have 32
    Farrk me one for each day of the month and a spare

Farrk me one for each day of the month and a spare
    Technically - YES

From what I gather (speaking with police, etc), it's illegal to have law changes that turn people into criminals overnight. So there should be plenty of time to make yourself legit. Hopefully turning our a-cat ARs into e-cat and waiving fees.

I dunno about that - sunday its an "A" but Monday morning its an "E". The law changes on the 11th December - there isn't any changeover period - it becomes law on a due date - they will publicise it before hand but once the law comes into effect, its the law.
    Bit like when they changed the give way rules - they had notices and diagrams in all the local papers, but on a due date "bang" that the new road rule.

Quote Originally Posted by muzr257 View Post
    I dunno about that - sunday its an "A" but Monday morning its an "E". The law changes on the 11th December - there isn't any changeover period - it becomes law on a due date - they will publicise it before hand but once the law comes into effect, its the law.
    Bit like when they changed the give way rules - they had notices and diagrams in all the local papers, but on a due date "bang" that the new road rule.
    Yes but Police can choose not to prosecute, they can give 6 months for people to comply if they think t's appropriate.

Hopefully they come up with something decent in the next four months. They will have a hard time defining some of the terms in the act. Seems like the whole exercise has been pretty pointless if they make pistol grips E cat, but keep thumbhole and drag stocks A. If the aim was to reduce the amount of AR's flowing in, it won't work because the importers will already have arrangements made for "compliant" rifles. If the only difference between A and E goes back to a bit of plastic joining the grip and stock together, what has been the point? Surely it would have been easiest to just delete pistol grip from the features list.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Hopefully they come up with something decent in the next four months. They will have a hard time defining some of the terms in the act. Seems like the whole exercise has been pretty pointless if they make pistol grips E cat, but keep thumbhole and drag stocks A. If the aim was to reduce the amount of AR's flowing in, it won't work because the importers will already have arrangements made for "compliant" rifles. If the only difference between A and E goes back to a bit of plastic joining the grip and stock together, what has been the point? Surely it would have been easiest to just delete pistol grip from the features list.
    Your assuming that there is a point to anything that a govermental party does.
    There is not other than spending money a providing the appearance of being proactive.