Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: International order seized in Australia

Yup, Ausie's got a law that states if any firearm/parts transits through Ausie you have to get an export permit from the Dept Defence. I just returned with some bits in my luggage. Their police is not as helpfull as their NZ counterparts. At some stage I got fed up with all the red tape and sent a very friendly e-mail requesting assistance on exactly which forms I have to complete...

Only to receive a stern but friendly "Read the website"
    I did the right thing and after months I got a permit just in case - one never knows.

I’ve had a few sleepless nights when a pallet load of AR15s accidentally went through Sydney instead of direct to Auckland. But they popped out the other side fine.

More recently we had a load of 1022 gear accidentally go through Aus as well. That was seized and I spent a week applying for permits to get it on its way via aus defence.

Air freight transiting through Aus is currently more common than it used to be due to the lower number of direct flights from USA post COVID.

It’s Russian roulette with gear that is restricted in Aus. Good luck to anyone playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Do you have a NZ import permit?
    It might be Aussie customs stopping stuff that doesn’t meet requirements to enter NZ
    Yes, but they wouldn't even look at it because I'm not a resident of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    I have heard of this happening before and now I always make sure any gun related stuff I get shipped to NZ doesn't go through any Aussie ports. From what I remember the person lost everything in the order as Australian customs just destroyed it and the shipper took no responsibility
    Aw man, you'd think that Brownells would be interested in knowing this information to avoid it happening again, but instead they couldn't care less
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    Brownells owe you money. They are responsible for the shipping. They have your money and you have nothing. You dont care why it has not arrived, it got lost in a foreign country that is their problem. Ask them what they are doing to get your package back or when they are sending your another one.
    I agree with this mindset. Though currently Brownells take 2-3 days to answer each of my email and they seemingly doesn't read what I write, so it's not going to be easy to play hardball with them. But I think I'll threaten to do a credit card charge back unless they take action, though I suspect my creditcard isn't going to be useful in making a charge back anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Brownells USA or Brownells Aus?
    US, however I don't know if perhaps the USA branch asked the Aus branch to send it. But if this product is illegal in Aus then I guess it must have come from US

The bank can't do anything about the credit card if you leave it more than 30 days, just a heads up.

Walking my rifle
    try claim back via your credit card company, they refunded me a stock some years ago that got lost in the mail from USA. just provide them copies of emails etc. this was 4-5 months after i paid for it. ASB Credit card
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Mate, I found this...
    https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=aus...-import-regime
    Go on down a bit to 'Transhipment Requirements'.
    Seems to say that you are OK? Or are they kicking up about you 'exporting' the items from Oz?
    Or have I found something 'out of date' and there is a new version out there?
    I'm waiting for a scope from UK, and yes, bloody sitting in Oz waiting for Customs Clearance (thanks Fedex for such slow service...the scope has come through UK, France, Dubai, Singapore, and now sitting in Oz for last 2 days).
    I paid extra for International Priority. Seems to be not a 'Priority' at all.

Unfortunately Brownells refuse to refund me, nor do they care to figure out what happened or if it could have been prevented.

Does anyone know if 22lr 10rnd mags are even illegal in Australia at all?

Quote Originally Posted by HeyThere View Post
    Unfortunately Brownells refuse to refund me, nor do they care to figure out what happened or if it could have been prevented.

There is also the insurance option with brownells

Quote Originally Posted by HeyThere View Post

If you don't recieve the item and the vendor won't play ball then just raise a dispute with your credit card company and let them deal with it.