Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: JW15 piece of shit

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    So with the earlier black tip models. I've just acquired one, should I feel bad about planning to cut it down to 15"?.
    No, its still a budget Chinese copy of a Brno.

Second hand ones probably better anyway because someone else has worn some of the rough edges off.

A mate bought a new JW15 maybe 5 or so years ago, accuracy was ok-ish but felt rough as guts. Last round from the mag would misfeed every time, safety was so stiff you thought it was going to snap off or break your thumb... a few hours amateur tinkering improved things a lot - bent and filed the mag lips slightly to change the angle and make it feed, sanded off off some sharp edges of the bolt so it slid along without feeling like it was gouging lines out of the action, whatever else looked nasty and easy to improve. Awful build quality for a brand new gun to need that much work to make it tolerable, but the design is fine.

After a few years of use everything smoothed out a bit more, its not too bad now.
    mimms2 likes this.

Probably the one I retirned to guncity after I couldnt get it to group at 50m. They bore sighred it 4x and kept saying I was doing somthing wrong...

Bought one new last year for $350 from Gun city. Seems to shoot just fine, bolt is relatively smooth for a cheap rifle. All mine needs is a better suppressor. Has had probably 100 rounds through it now, took out 7 magpies in the first week of lockdown with it.

I have an outdoor arms 16" model, bought for tipping muttons over. shooting at PBR in the yards for the first 150 rounds or so. Sheep are gone now so we just use it for plinking with the kids. Boy can consistently hit lids on coke bottles at 25m. We must have a reasonably good one. must have seen 600-700 rounds by now. Running as issued, synthetic stock, factory crap 4x32 scope and factory suppressor
    veitnamcam and Ranger 888 like this.

I got one for the boy in a GC $1res auction, can shoot just as well as my ruger, the boy can hit clays consistently at 100m at the range with it, all in all good for a cheap as chip 22 for the kids. My cousin brought one but with the long barrel and that one is the biggest pos I've ever shot, can't even sight the frikn thing in it shoots so bad.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Do the new ones have MADE IN CHINA stamped on the barrel. I was once told that the older jw15s had it but the newer ones didn't.

Decided to pull mine out of the safe after reading this thread, shit it was rusty. Good going over with some Brake Kleen and she's good as new. I've got one that's about 18 years old, got the black bit on fore end and Made in China stamped on the side. Used to hang out my bedroom window as a kid, shooting subs into the pruned branches on trees. Could stack 5 subs into the same hole at 25 yards. If you got a goodie they punched well above your weight.
    RUMPY likes this.

Sounds suspiciously like the new GC brand 'Outdoor Arms' JWs are as bad as their earlier imports. They were junk - literally. The earlier Polytech branded ones were also crap. Made in a number of different factories if I remember correctly.

Again - there are lots of good ones out there and when you get one they are very effective little hunters. Alot have off-centre bores but that does not affect scoped accuracy. Will however affect accuracy if fitting suppressor as an off-centre bore will cause bullet 'clipping' thru an on-centre suppressor.

Bang the thing back on trademe and try and make a couple of dollars out of it. Get the hell away from it, its more hassle than it is worth. Well thats my opinion and what I would be doing, I dont have time for "projects" that may or may not work at all. A rifle that shoots around rocks might as well be a stick. Maybe if it was something really special it would be different - but that aint one of them.

My opinion only. Good luck.
    Nathanfish and mimms2 like this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Yeah giday

Bought a supposedly brand new 'Outdoor Arms' JW15 in a Gun City $1 reserve auction and it seems I got what I paid for...
    The crown is pretty munted and the bore doesn't look to be centered. Bolt looked like it'd already had some use so I'm wondering if it's a spare parts rifle?
    Attachment 138894
    Attachment 138895

Contrary to the positive posts about JW15 accuracy it patterns like a shotgun at 40 meters with Winchester 40gr subsonics, that's 8cm (3 inch) across with 5 shots.
    Attachment 138897

I also noticed one of the cases had cracked, is that normal for a 22lr?
    Attachment 138898

This is just a bit of a heads up for anyone buying one of these, I'd recommend getting a 2nd hand one that someone has already proven or at least view in person before buying a 'brand new' one. There's a lot of positive reviews for the JW15 so this one obviously doesn't fit the mould.

So is there any saving this rifle? I've already cut out the barrel channel to free float it, and grinded away half the bolt handle to fit a larger scope on so I don't think Gun City would take it back at this stage..
    Cheers
    I'll buy it from you for $30.00 and $20.00 freight.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Wouldn't that split case be caused by a chamber irregularity?

northdude
    Whatever you do to it all your doing is polishing a turd
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Whatever you do to it all your doing is polishing a turd
    Well....my turd works just fine....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by #the creeper View Post
    Agree with Spoon....brought one for my son to use....a total piece of shite.
    I know that a lot of people rave on about how great they are....not from my experience.
    Maybe I was lucky but I had the exact opposite experience about ?12yrs ago. Bought a new one to make a custom version for my little nephew. Shortened the stock, smoothed up the rough action and trigger, refinished the wood, fitted a spare scope and had a cheap suppressor fitted. My gunsmith said the bore very extremely well centred. Didn't touch the bedding but obviously the crown was cleaned up during the threading. That thing shot like a demon, in fact better than his father's CZ. I can still remember my brother laughing like hell as I slaughtered stuff in their paddock out the kitchen window, much of it the wrong side of 70yds. That thing was extreme bang for buck.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Mine is near on 40yrs old. Wooden stocked, long barrel. Has a 3-9 Nikko gold crown on it. Outshoots any other .22 that I or any of my mates have used over the years. Dont know what the round count is now, stopped counting at 150,000 quite a few years back. Best .22 I have ever owned and I have had just about every brand.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and Cordite like this.