Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Kids 223

MB
    ...or something similar. I was thinking the same for Alex, but he has chosen a different path.

I too want one of those elude chassis but for budgets sake the excel lite plastic ones also have the collapsable ar15 style stock (the ones that slide in and out) so no cutting needed

Cutting the stock is ok but the main bit thats hard to alter is the space from grip to trigger to suit their little hands..

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    This!
    Wont want to hand it over to the grommets though
    But how good would it be to hunt with the kids with 1 rifle that quickly suits all ages I dont think you could beat it
    MB likes this.

I wouldn't piss around with a 223 for kids.
    A reasonable weight 243 or 308 with mild loads and a can will give better results.
    Teach them about noise and recoil (or how to avoid them) correctly from the start.
    erniec likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

She's 7, I disagree, negate the recoil for now, focus on accuracy/shot placement, technique... in no particular order
    veitnamcam, Tommy, MB and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    She's 7, I disagree, negate the recoil for now, focus on accuracy/shot placement, technique... in no particular order
    yeah I agree with Gibo to young yet even for a down loaded 243 308 - maybe when she is 11 or 12

I was shooting a 308 young and it left me with a flinch that I still have when paper shooting. I have to concentrate real hard to stop it. And yes I've fired alot of rounds from secondary school level target shooter to goat culler. Its something that I'd prefer to avoid. Having said that, suppressor goes a long way to calm that in a kid. She currently uses my 243.
    I'd be fine with a 243 suppressed in a lite rifle. However a 223 is soo lovely to shoot and boxes well above its weight as a calibre.
    I think either will do the job.
    Micky Duck likes this.

223 all the way
    When hunting think safety first

norinco 7.62x39mm and you wont give a shit cutting the stock shorter...can add it back on later or just keep increasing the recoil pad....WHY because its plurry close to .223 in a lot of ways but better in others..both use same amount of ar2206 powder so bang is similar...dead easy to suppress..use your .308 suppressor more than likely..I shared one between the x39mm and 270
    the x39mm gives more margin for error and hits with projectile 2-3times heavier depending on load....shot placement is slightly easier as more oomph to break bones etc... I did sell mine after kids moved onto bigger things but often regret doing so as it was such a fun rifle to carry and just shoot stuff with......WITH ONE PROVISO...keep the range under 150 yards....75yards and under even better...it kills reds and pigs very well and my box of hornady training rounds 123grn sst was nearly all used up one night spotlighting big forestry wallabies..holy smoke did it smack them down with authority...goats would be identical I believe.
    NZHunter did awesome article about ten years ago...calibres for under 16s think it was called....really good read top 3 choices were .243 7.62x39mm and 223...... but .223 for cool calm shot only.
    7mm Rem Mag and No.3 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Yeah. I cut down a new air rifle but it still sucks for her to shoot. Not sure why. I don't have a 22 that I want to cut up. As she's really only interested in hunting I'll just forgo those and she can spend my money outing rounds down range in cnetrefire. I see broncos have stainless lite barrel minis with no stock. Might have to source a stock.
    check the amount she has to creep hand forwards to reach trigger.....its the one thing we found hard with bakail single shottie..I built up the pistol grip with tapered bit of jandle and insulation taped it in place...it put the other three fingers better placed when one was on trigger
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Hcvcheers MD. I'd not actually considered it but would whole heartedly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    norinco 7.62x39mm and you wont give a shit cutting the stock shorter...can add it back on later or just keep increasing the recoil pad....WHY because its plurry close to .223 in a lot of ways but better in others..both use same amount of ar2206 powder so bang is similar...dead easy to suppress..use your .308 suppressor more than likely..I shared one between the x39mm and 270
    the x39mm gives more margin for error and hits with projectile 2-3times heavier depending on load....shot placement is slightly easier as more oomph to break bones etc... I did sell mine after kids moved onto bigger things but often regret doing so as it was such a fun rifle to carry and just shoot stuff with......WITH ONE PROVISO...keep the range under 150 yards....75yards and under even better...it kills reds and pigs very well and my box of hornady training rounds 123grn sst was nearly all used up one night spotlighting big forestry wallabies..holy smoke did it smack them down with authority...goats would be identical I believe.
    NZHunter did awesome article about ten years ago...calibres for under 16s think it was called....really good read top 3 choices were .243 7.62x39mm and 223...... but .223 for cool calm shot only.
    Beat me too it. Suppressed 7.62x39 will be a damn good option, and the other thing is you can make up a stock to suit out of marine ply and coating it. Your girl looks tiny, much more petite than my 9 year old who is tall for age. It's hard, as the slight girls are challenged on every aspect - hand size means a normal pistol grip just isn't a going proposition for them and the distance for trigger pull is much too long. The butt is usually shaped wrong for their little collar bone area and the bones are so soft a sharp recoiling rifle can cause a greenstick rearrangement which I'm told just hurts (my boy did it to himself a while back but I told him to suck it up as a badge of pride not realising he'd damaged the bone - his mother dealt to me for that one). The other issue is arm length vs chest width vs neck skull and eye dimensions means the actual sighting and handling of the rifle is just more difficult than required...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Haha ya not wrong. Getting length of pull is most important as usually the eye distance comes right. She's pretty tough for her age. Won at nationals in Brazilian jiujitsu. Fights 2 or 3 days a week. Still a few pounds of rifle will always be too much unless on some form of rest. I wasn't gonna let her shoot early but she's just so bloody keen.

The Original Striker
    any idea of her length of pull?
    Howa does a houge youth stock at 12.5inches LOP for the short action if dead set on .223 but Id probably go .243 or .308 and reduced loads and set for life

I think they can be cut even shorter too if need be
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker