Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Kimber Montanas

I haven't had a shit one yet and I'm on number four

Because you've got low standards.
    kiwijames likes this.

This is No 2 for me. The Pro Varmint in 22-250 is a drill

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I haven't had a shit one yet and I'm on number four
    What was wrong with the first three then?
    Wildman, Tahr, Timmay and 1 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

None of them were inaccurate, as for timmays cheap shot about low standards they all shot under 1.5 inch at 100m with factory ammo which is good considering the weight of them. I'm not a gun nerd farm hunter like Timmay so it's good enough for me

1. First one, a .308. Very accurate. Sold it to a member at the other pub who still has it. Sold to get one in .243

2. Sent the .243 one back under warranty due to a fit and finish issue. It too shot well, but it was a new gun and I expected better. Shop graciously sent me another.

3. Was the gun I was going to give the grandkids. Sadly stolen in a burglary. It still hurts, thanks for bringing it up

4. Current one, my first wooden stocked one. Puts grey box Winny 150 grainers on top of each other. I did bed it however. Don't plan to sell it
    mikee likes this.

I have this one, its highly modified Montana .243, Manners ultralight stock, reamed and recut to .260 rem, ultralight VX2 scope, few other mods as well,
    5lbs 2 oz with 4 down, shots very well, plenty of 1/2 to 3/4" groups with 120 Bt or 125gr partion, but is a bit light to shoot well, and kicks like a basterd, esp prone,
    Its been racking up the kills the last few months, now that I am back in NZ.

Name:  IMG_0848.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  1.08 MB
    Kiwi Greg, 199p, Freezer and 4 others like this.

Howa mountain rifle 6.5 creedmore would do the job nicely ..... and save you a heap of coin.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Howa mountain rifle 6.5 creedmore would do the job nicely ..... and save you a heap of coin.
    Save it

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    snip
    seems I hit a nerve :p
    1.5" at 100m is low standards for a $2300+ rifle.
    I've owned 3 Tikka's
    308win - shot 7mm groups with 165ssts - remember those 2 shots touching at 250m on the Napier Taupo I pulled the 3rd
    6.5x55 shoots 1/2 all day every day
    7mmremmag 3 shots in to 1/2 on a BAD day.

No issues with any of them.

I'm not saying the Kimber needs to shoot better to be worth the money as it's a different rifle lighter etc but if it can't do MOA out of the box it isn't good enough.

All these rifles where bought for $1200-$1600

Nothing wrong with farm hunting, don't get caught up in the snobbery.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    These don't look too bad either. I'm a Sako snob and if I was buying a new light weight I would consider this Howa over a Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    seems I hit a nerve :p
    1.5" at 100m is low standards for a $2300+ rifle.
    I've owned 3 Tikka's
    308win - shot 7mm groups with 165ssts - remember those 2 shots touching at 250m on the Napier Taupo I pulled the 3rd
    6.5x55 shoots 1/2 all day every day
    7mmremmag 3 shots in to 1/2 on a BAD day.

No issues with any of them.

I'm not saying the Kimber needs to shoot better to be worth the money as it's a different rifle lighter etc but if it can't do MOA out of the box it isn't good enough.

All these rifles where bought for $1200-$1600

Nothing wrong with farm hunting, don't get caught up in the snobbery.
    did you not start this thread, ?
    If tikka's are working so good, just stick with them, they a reasonable rifle, mass produced to a price point, and exported all over the world, As are Kimbers, just with a slightly different end user target market.
    Neither in my view, are more accurate than other given, similar weight, and price point rifles, They are all CNC machined and mass produced, I have seen poor quality, inaccurate rifles, from pretty much every major rifle maker, including several from Sako, Tikka and Kimber.
    Compering a light weight mountain rifle, to a std weight sportter is a bit pointless in my view, decide what you want, and compare similar, Remington M700 mt rifles are good, and H&F Wanganui had one in .280, great all round choice.

MSL
    Ultimately you buy a kimber because they are light, not to worry about shooting tiny little groups, otherwise you would by something with a reputation for inherent accuracy

It seems the 260s aren't made any more.........

If it's low standards, why do you want one?

My wooden one weighs as much as your Tikka, I wouldnt go after one if I had the other. And why would you switch to a .260 from 6.5x55? Rocks in the head son
    Gibo likes this.

That Kimber with the manners stock would be choice. The Kimber stocks need to be thrown away anyway