Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Darkness


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kimber's Hunter model Pros/Cons

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hmmm - I see the 243 is a 1:10 twist and another branch has a 6.5 Crudmoor for the same money with a decent 1:8 twist (and I have brass etc for both) so what to do?? @Bill999 I see you run a 243 one of these, what projectile do you use?? Thanks
    Try 85 grain Hornady Interbonds. Definitely a big game projectile. I'm playing with 87 grain soft points as well to see if they shoot the same for a cheaper bomb up round.
    Using Interbonds on rabbits, Hares, Goats etc is a bit expensive.
    Overkill is still dead.

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    1,096
    The only complains I've seen are what yall have stated above: a couple of mags that had issues and were replaced, picky with certain ammo in certain calibres, and the odd person who is not used the the controlled round feed and thinks they're shit because the bolt isn't smooth like a Tikka and they can't drop a round in and close the bolt behind it.
    Overall pretty positive though

  3. #18
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Cape
    Posts
    4,428
    I had one. I found it to be perfectly accurate for a hunting rifle. In saying that, I found it quite difficult to shoot well. The stock had a very short LOP for me, and odd dimensions IMO. Felt like it was made for a wee kid tbh. I was going through a "I've gotta have the lightest gun" vibe. But it's not the be all end all.
    veitnamcam likes this.

  4. #19
    Member Tikka7mm08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Loburn
    Posts
    3,497
    My two load with a single round not in the mag and a push on the bolt. I have read this is not ideal for controlled round bolts. The claw holds the round when ejecting...I almost wondering if I should mag load rounds for bench testing if that creates more consistency?

  5. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    3,513
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    The only complains I've seen are what yall have stated above: a couple of mags that had issues and were replaced, picky with certain ammo in certain calibres, and the odd person who is not used the the controlled round feed and thinks they're shit because the bolt isn't smooth like a Tikka and they can't drop a round in and close the bolt behind it.
    Overall pretty positive though
    the extractor will click past if you drop a round in just fine on the montanas the three I have all do this without complaint
    I dont know the story with the mag fed ones
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,317
    Plenty of info on kimbers above but on the hunter vs the Montana etc.
    Cons
    - not factory threaded
    -detachable mag (con for me although it's a decent design to be fair
    -heavier (until you remove the gel then it's lighter)
    Harder to single feed that the montana

    Pros
    -Stocks take a beating
    -a lot of leftover money
    -better resale

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I had one. I found it to be perfectly accurate for a hunting rifle. In saying that, I found it quite difficult to shoot well. The stock had a very short LOP for me, and odd dimensions IMO. Felt like it was made for a wee kid tbh. I was going through a "I've gotta have the lightest gun" vibe. But it's not the be all end all.
    Might surprise you but length of pull is longer than most factory rifles iirk when I measured. But I understand the feeling as I felt the same.

  8. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invervegas
    Posts
    2,709
    Well thanks for all the helpful responses fellas - but the deal fell through so there won't be a Kimber in my cabinet afterall. Bother!

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hastings
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Might surprise you but length of pull is longer than most factory rifles iirk when I measured. But I understand the feeling as I felt the same.
    Is that the extremely swept back pistol grip effectively moving your wrist closer to your shoulder?

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Is that the extremely swept back pistol grip effectively moving your wrist closer to your shoulder?
    That might be it I never did figure it out. I just got used to it now.

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    3,513
    the stocks do feel a bit little if the scope is mounted too far too the rear
    Im happy with them as they fit me but if they dont in the montana range its a Pain in the ass to change as they glue them to the stock at the factory
    Stocky likes this.

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    That might be it I never did figure it out. I just got used to it now.
    Montana. This feature facilitates having a high comb which lines up perfectly with a low mounted scope (for my particular ergonomics). The long wrist allows the bolt to be removed without any gimmicks. Of many many stocks owned and used this is closest to ideal (I do cheat somewhat by using a slip on recoil pad to extend LOP for summer clothing).
    Stocky likes this.

  13. #28
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    3,621
    I was looking at the Kimber website earlier after reading this thread, i noted that the Kimber hunter in 6.5CM has a 1:10 barrel twist, which surprised me, seems slow, most other do the 6.5CM in 1:8 eh.

    Does anyone have a Hunter in 6.5CM? How have you found it shooting the heavier 140/143gr bullets?

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I was looking at the Kimber website earlier after reading this thread, i noted that the Kimber hunter in 6.5CM has a 1:10 barrel twist, which surprised me, seems slow, most other do the 6.5CM in 1:8 eh.

    Does anyone have a Hunter in 6.5CM? How have you found it shooting the heavier 140/143gr bullets?
    It shows 1:8 twist for me and my 6.5 Creed Ascent is 1 in 8. The 7mm barrels are a 1 in 9 and stabilize 180s quite well. My 308 is 1 in 10.

  15. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invervegas
    Posts
    2,709
    Digit's website shows 1:10 for the 6.5 but thats wrong . . . the Kimber website definelty shows 1:8 in at least one place cause I checked too . . .

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Red dots pros and cons
    By GSP HUNTER in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 13-05-2020, 11:24 PM
  2. pros and cons of a ffp scope?
    By berg243 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 19-12-2019, 12:53 PM
  3. The 22/250, what do you zap with it, what are its pros and cons.
    By Max Headroom in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 08-08-2019, 01:46 PM
  4. 280AI - pros & cons?
    By Nickoli in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 20-01-2016, 06:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!