Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223
Like Tree568Likes

Thread: Kiwi made Howa mini ultralight chassis a reality?

Name:  pigs.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  428.0 KB

Had a surprise when these 2 popped out from under a tree when I was doing a goat bomb-up
    130gr sierra gamechangers did some damage at 200m, both dropped on the spot

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    12.5"
    Nice. I'm on the fence about going 12.5 or 14 inch in a Grendel..... short and handy vs a bit more speed 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Project17 View Post
    Nice. I'm on the fence about going 12.5 or 14 inch in a Grendel..... short and handy vs a bit more speed 🤷*♂️
    Fuck knows where that last emoji came from
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

split difference and go 13 1/4 lol
    robhughes-games likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    split difference and go 13 1/4 lol
    🤣🤣

I'll be cutting mine down to 14 inch or so I think. Meant to be a short and handy gun, but found the handloads are going so well that I'm finding it hard to change a good thing. Shoots about an inch wide 5 shot group at 200m with the 130gr gamechangers, but only going a mesaley 2300fps, the velocity drop might be too much for this load if I cut it that far

Yeah man. I hear ya. My speeds are a bit shit. I'd love to trim it down though . I'm wondering if I need to stick around that 14 inch mark to keep the boogy up to an acceptable level...then I see the boys flattening shit with really short 10 inch barrels.

It's more about bullet choice and shot placement. A good light jacket match or varmint bullet handloaded to the max your barrel will allow and it will kill just fine. 130gr is a bit on the heavy side for Grendel, stick to the 120gr or lighter in a short barrel. I tend to only head shoot animals these days anyway so with the right shot placement it can be done with a .22lr.
    A 120gr match bullet at 2200fps just about takes a goats head clean off.. I have plenty of pics to confirm this but probably not the best place to share them..

It's more about bullet choice and shot placement. A good light jacket match or varmint bullet handloaded to the max your barrel will allow and it will kill just fine. 130gr is a bit on the heavy side for Grendel, stick to the 120gr or lighter in a short barrel. I tend to only head shoot animals these days anyway so with the right shot placement it can be done with a .22lr.
    A 120gr match bullet at 2200fps just about takes a goats head clean off.. I have plenty of pics to confirm this but probably not the best place to share them..
    Grew a pair of stones and took the leap. 12.5 Grendel for the win. Dave at Shooter Ready has been exceptional. Super easy to deal with so far. I'm fizzing to get this back and out in the boonies for a wander. Just gotta sneak it into the safe without the wife clicking....better to ask forgiveness than permission 😉🤣
    Bill999 and Micky Duck like this.

Are you still running with 8208 as powder of choice?
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Yes. It is the best powder for short barrels. Don't overlook Power Pro Varmint in a longer barrel though if you are chasing speed
    mikee and Sidetrack like this.

Power Pro Varmit in my 6.5 TCU pushes 123gn sst at 2571fps average (24 inch barrel) and no pressure signs.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.