Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lapping

Lapping

When lapping scope rings to remove high spots, machine burrs, etc, I have found that the alignment bars that are machined to a point have a fair bit of error when compared to a squared machined flat face reference.

I put this down to the points being used as the indicator by eye make it very difficult to judge just how close the rings are to each other even with a white piece of paper used as a back ground. I have tested this with the above mentioned machined squared face system after setting mounts up with the point type set up an found a bit of difference between the two.

It might be that my eyes are shot , but this method leaves no witness marks on the scope tube and is simple for those people that are struggling to see to get a very consistent result.

Rob