Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Laser sights?

Laser sights?

Hi

KiwiGreg has given me an idea for a .22lr I'm going to build for my little girl - a laser sight. This gives instant gratification i.e. it makes sense to a little mind that whatever the laser is pointing at, that's where the bullet will hit. It will also allow me to safely see where she is pointing it while helping her to hold it steady (to start with).

Now I played with these about 15 years ago, but gave up on them as a bit of a ''gimmick'' and ended up giving my one away to a mate. I just had a quick look on Trademe and there are hundreds of options now, but most look like rubbish? I'm not even sure if some of those Trademe lasers can be sighted in or not??? I don't want to spend a fortune, but it needs to work reliably...Can anyone recommend one that they are using?

kj

I got a cheap one from dx
    Cost about $50 nz
    Has turrets to adjust poa
    Nifty little thing it is, see similar stuff on trade me going close to the $100 mark but looks like same stuff from dx
    This is what I got

20mW Aggressivity Green Laser Rifle Scope with Gun Mount (1*CR123A) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Def not 20mw like it says but I use it every now and then
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Stay away from the TM rubbish I reckon.

Got one of these for $60, and it works as well as a $60 scope should do

The laser helped line up for a finishing off shot (translation : lazy). Optics are appalling, windage adjustment has no direction arrows so I just cranked it for sighting in to see where it would go, and it has a flimsy elevation adjustment that isn't locked down and is easily bumped, with 1 -5 numbered increment (I assumed for adjusting to shoot from 100 yards to 500 yards). The scope will be used in my own Mythbusters experiment one day to see if I can shoot through the scope itself.

However the green laser I used to have on my other rifle (the Deal Extreme one) in conjunction with a Hawke scope was very helpful at helping with range finding. And that's one advantage they have if you're after something that accurate and necessary.

Serious Shooters sell the Nikko Stirling 3-9x42 Mil Dot for $170 which is about as budget as you can go for a scope with a built in laser.

But personally I wouldn't buy something like a scope off TM, a shop has a huge advantage in being able to go in, pick it up and look through it. If you're lucky, some nice shops like Wills Hunting and Fishing on North Shore will even mount it for you and boresight it in.

ebf
    I agree with your comments on the other thread about sticking with iron sights for initial learning.

The idea about a laser indicating impact point is good though.

Maybe look at a simple laser pointer that you can mount in some way that it does not interfere with iron sights.

I've played with built-in laser sight / recoil spring in a Glock. Very effective way of getting the message across, especially with all the Hollywood movies We found that even guys pretty far gone on drugs (meth) would have a radical attitude adjustment when they saw the red dot...
    Last edited by ebf; 17-02-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Why no just a red dot sight? Easier for a newbie to shoot than getting their head around a scope (no parallax, eye relief issues etc) especially a kid.

Products Page | Discount Rifle Scopes, Binoculars and More - The Optic Zone

Thanks guys they are all good ideas, some of which I’ll move onto later on as things progress.

I'm keen on starting with nothing (scope/red-dot/iron sights) mounted above the barrel, and with a small laser under the barrel. This is to get the idea of point and shoot, plus the safety aspects of training a kid to use guns. KISS approach is what I like about the laser sight idea.

Basically I want it as simple/fun to use as it can possibly be, when I've trained other kids to use rifles I've realised that there is a lot to take in (for the kid) and its all pretty important stuff. By having the laser sight, it will allow me to skip that step of explaining eye relief, iron sights etc etc and focus on the safety and fun of shooting...that other stuff will be introduced in years to come.
    kj

JR Laser if you can find one,adjustable both ways,with a pressure pad switch.I've had mine for 15+ years still good but have replaced the switch 2 or 3 times.Name:  001.JPG
Views: 1699
Size:  78.2 KB
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Mount a short picatinny rail in front of the sling swivel and mount the lazer on that
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."