Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: At least it's a nice colour green - NZDF choose AR to replace Steyrs

I think people need to back the bus up a little . All that has happened is that Bullsh@t Castle has said is that "We liked playing with a rifle ".
    There is nothing to say that they will get what they "want ". In the end they will accept what they are given and the Politicians will decide not the Mandarins of Bullsh@t Castle . The Aussies will be very unhappy of a different choice from them no matter what we think . Remember MonKey boy preferred a Softball game over a Funeral .
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    I think people need to back the bus up a little . All that has happened is that Bullsh@t Castle has said is that "We liked playing with a rifle ".
    There is nothing to say that they will get what they "want ". In the end they will accept what they are given and the Politicians will decide not the Mandarins of Bullsh@t Castle . The Aussies will be very unhappy of a different choice from them no matter what we think . Remember MonKey boy preferred a Softball game over a Funeral .
    I don't think the Aussies would care what rifle we had as long as it fires 5.56x45mm.
    DAF and R93 like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    why is it our SAS get issued better kit and weapons as in the Ar15 than our regulars? who have over the decades always had to either swap or steal better equipment from our allies in conflicts. Surely there wouldn't be that much difference in price?
    We used to joke about their lack of a budget. I think their role dictates state of the art gear and having it up-gradable. They are also only around 100 strong so compared to equipping the rest of the Army I spose it is cheapish. They smash the budget in other areas.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Meh, things went downhill after these were upgraded.

Attachment 39816

Flash bugger.

I had to yell "stick, stick".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Kscott, GravelBen, Tommy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Meh, things went downhill after these were upgraded.

Attachment 39816

Pfffft If you waited 20yrs they would have upgraded you to the one with the pointy end
    Kscott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    why is it our SAS get issued better kit and weapons as in the Ar15 than our regulars? who have over the decades always had to either swap or steal better equipment from our allies in conflicts. Surely there wouldn't be that much difference in price?
    SAS get issued equipment in line with their international counterparts. Interoperability or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't think the Aussies would care what rifle we had as long as it fires 5.56x45mm.
    Obviously you do not understand just how things work .This is as much a political decision as a millitary one

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Obviously you do not understand just how things work .This is as much a political decision as a millitary one
    Unfortunately I think it is you who does not fully understand how things work fully. There is no "conspiracys" involved. The current weapon is coming to the end of its life and there has been a trial and LMT is the winner. Job done. That's it.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    Flash bugger.

I had to yell "stick, stick".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    No Koshogi you would be yelling HIT HIT HIT other wise it would be like yelling RIFLE RIFLE RIFLE (silly aye!) not BANG BANG BANG or BULLETS BULLETS BULLETS! NAH never had to do that

Bit of a pissed post, but, sas (as only being small force and also unique in what they do) should get what ever they need. And lets face it, the general person will not know the true cost for these people - and i dont think they need to. We dont live in a third world nation and the people that run the country arent that bad, so give them the benefit of trying to safe guard these guys that do things that the norm dont need to know about.
    General force, army navy air etc., need to have a somewhat balanced approached to gear. That Hopefully doesnt sound too bad, and i do think the people on the pointy end need the best, but $ do come in at some point.
    If there is any mention of back handers for deals, PROVE and expose.

And i dont think we spend enough on the military
    Shooter likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

And i dont think we spend enough on the military
    +1

There are a lot of others areas that could do with more $ as well, just getting the extra $ is the hard part as every current govt expense would be hard or ill advised to reduce.
    I'm actually surprised the current govt haven't come down harder on mil spending as they have been very hard on other departments,with mixed outcomes.
    Beaker likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    No Koshogi you would be yelling HIT HIT HIT other wise it would be like yelling RIFLE RIFLE RIFLE (silly aye!) not BANG BANG BANG or BULLETS BULLETS BULLETS! NAH never had to do that
    Imagine how section gunners felt, having to yell 3-5 round burst, 3-5 round burst and then getting mocked by your 2ic that you weren't yelling loud enough to keep the enemies heads down while the rest of your section did a flanking attack on their position 350m away in pouring rain and howling gale - Oh you gotta love budget cuts eh
    Tommy and 300CALMAN like this.

illjust stick with the SLRgents .heavy yeah but if something got hit it stayed hit and also a 10 lb rifle makes a mighty fine bloody shin scraper! ore spine readjuster (oops did i say that) and i stillremebers me TF basic at burnham.very impressionable raw recruits see 4 grizzled RFsgts operating on a stumpwith SLRS. end of volley-our sgt "go have a look and t
    ell me what you learned
    Its a very powerful bullet sgt
    No son ,the correct answer is soldiers dont hide behind bloody trees-thats why god gave ya feet to keep your arse off the ground moving and keep you alive so the army can teach you to shoot back!
    had he not been in the military hed have made a topnotch stand up comedian.
    The M16-most outstanding feat I saw was it used as a chainsaw to chop a tree in half. 1x30rd mag +1/2 a mag. the plt commander concerned actually had a rather memorable conversation with the CO over that stunt
    i got out in 1991as the steyr was comin into general service and i was always told we got it because lithgow small arms in aussie tooled up to manufacture it etc etc and the anzac relationship.as a mere TF sgt I accepted the
    "official line -it seemed the simplest option and really who knows how a bloody politicians mind works anyhow at the end of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    +1

There are a lot of others areas that could do with more $ as well, just getting the extra $ is the hard part as every current govt expense would be hard or ill advised to reduce.
    I'm actually surprised the current govt haven't come down harder on mil spending as they have been very hard on other departments,with mixed outcomes.
    Forced to save $400 Million by this year and with the redunacy of 300+ soldiers, airman and sailers I would think that would consitute "coming down hard" on military spending. It is all relitive and if you don't see it then you may not realise how tight the purse strings really are.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Unfortunately I think it is you who does not fully understand how things work fully. There is no "conspiracys" involved. The current weapon is coming to the end of its life and there has been a trial and LMT is the winner. Job done. That's it.
    Last time at the end on the Trials ,they said to the Government of the day "We want the Canadian C7/9 " . The Government said back "No you don't you want the Aussie Styer " and guess what we got ????.
    ZG47 and Tommy like this.