Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich007

Thread: Lefties

ebf

Lefties

Who on the forum is left-handed?

Do you just use right-handed bolt actions. Or do you specifically buy lever-actions or left action bolt guns ?

I'm very left dominant, eye, hand, everything. Learnt to shoot with a right-hand bolt 22. Got myself a lefty Air Arms S410 several years back, was a real treat. Competeted in 3-gun back in SA, all left, luckily Glocks are completely ambidextrous

Lever actions ok (except for prone shooting, haha), but trigger guard safeties L-R bit iffy. Tang safeties much more user-friendly.

My little brother is left handed and shoots right hand guns, but he looks so awkward doing it but he says he is fine.

I'm a leftie and make a point of only buying lefthanded rifles/shotguns these days (although I am tempted sometimes). I can use a right handed one but lefthanded bolt/safety/etc is just 'nicer'.
    savagehunter likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

ebf
    Yup Toby, prone with a R bolt is ok for me, if the stock is fairly neutral design. But offhand I definitely prefer L bolt

Safeties are my big bugbear, a lot of the sideways safeties can luckily be switched around.

Re: Lefties

I'm leftie
    Have leftie 270 and 308 model 700and m77 bolt carry guns
    Leftie shotgun
    leftie savage Shorty
    I have normal ar's
    Regular 10/22
    If I was going to make a long range shoot from the ground/bench model would def use rh action
    Easier to cycle and leave trigger hand where it is
    Carry gun is easier for me to cycle on the shoulder with a lh action
    I find lh actually has some advantages in pistol shooting with controls

Using TT2 on my mobele

Leftie.
    three right hand rifles
    never fired a left hander.
    went to buy a left tikka in 7.08 and came home with right handed TC 308 because it felt good. No problems.

ebf
    walkabout, most of your shooting prone or offhand ?

and calibers: short or long action ?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Another leftie here. Pain in the ass being this perfect but some of us have to suffer the affliction.
    LH Blaser R93 Offroad in 7mm-08 and 7mmRemMag for me, plus whats left of a Rem700LH in 243AI and a .22 CZ452LH.
    I started on RH rifles and always felt awkward shooting them. After a couple of Rugers there was no going back after trying a R93 at Sportways in Hamilton.
    Keen on either a lever in 30-30/44LC or a Ruger No.1 in 45-70 though, and I also have a strange desire to buy another shotgun but probably a O/U 20g.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    LH Blaser R93 Offroad in 7mm-08 and 7mmRemMag for me, plus whats left of a Rem700LH in 243AI and a .22 CZ452LH.
    Ok, I don't like you anymore <sulking in corner>

CZ452 with euro style stock is just about perfect as far as I am concerned. Oh, and if someone HAD to offer me a R93, I'd have to try REAL hard not to break out a special edition of Balki's dance of joy ...

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Lefties

[QUOTE=ebf;51009CZ452 with euro style stock is just about perfect as far as I am concerned. Oh, and if someone HAD to offer me a R93, I'd have to try REAL hard not to break out a special edition of Balki's dance of joy ... [/QUOTE] My CZ is the deluxe with the hogback and is not too shabby. The Blaser was the only real option at the time with fuck all else available LH in a quality rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    walkabout, most of your shooting prone or offhand ?

and calibers: short or long action ?
    off hand mainly but left hand over scope to work bolt while prone.
    .22 savage
    .223 vanguard
    308 TC venture. My favourite.

Left handed. All centerfires are left handed - bolt and semis, shotgun semi auto lefthanded, sidexside shotgun doesn't matter, and a couple of 22's/22mag's that are right hand semis. Get a bit of shit in my eyes using them, but get used to it.

First centrefire was a PH 243 safari in right hand, and while it was great to be finally carrying a "big" rifle when I was a youngun, it never felt "right".