Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree41Likes
  • 11 Post By Ben Waimata
  • 2 Post By Ben Waimata
  • 5 Post By Shearer
  • 5 Post By grandpamac
  • 5 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By Mintie
  • 5 Post By 30late
  • 1 Post By SLR
  • 5 Post By grandpamac

Thread: Let's see some 'well loved' firearms

Let's see some 'well loved' firearms

The firearms and optics snobs threads got me thinking. There is a tendency to show of the good stuff, but how about a thread devoted entirely to the old workhorses, the ugly ducklings, the pre-(once way back)-loved firearms?

I'll start. This is my first rifle, a 10/22 I was given in 1984 or 1985. Used it standard for many years, until the sights broke off and the stock got damaged. It's had at least 100,000 rounds through it with only very rare failures. Gone through a few magazines. The bluing is almost completely gone, there is hints of rust everywhere. I replaced the stock with a well used choate several years ago, but the only real up grade was installing a BX trigger, not because the old trigger had failed, but because I wanted the lighter trigger pull. Currently has a trs25 red dot but I change over to a scope every now and then, and I've used a mag coupler since the bx-15 mags were banned. Still got the original sling plus the bit of bale twine I used as a temporary fix about 5 years ago and have not got around to fixing yet.

The old girl still shoots as straight as I ever need and I see no reason to retire her for a good while yet.

Show us anything that you would not normally want to show off.

I must be the only forum member with less than spectacular firearms!
    Shearer and caberslash like this.

Name:  Toz.JPG
Views: 544
Size:  510.3 KB
    Single shot Toz 17. Not spectacular but still deals to Blackbirds out the front window.
    Oh. And rabbits.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Greetings All,
    Below is a picture of my .308 (lower rifle). Bought new in the late 1970's and on its second stock and most recent of many scopes. Since the photo the barrel has been shortened to 20" and a DPT over barrel suppressor fitted. It has fired about 1,000 rounds, almost all handloads. It has been used for hunting, target shooting and more recently load testing. I shot my first deer with it. The barrel is excellent and it shoots well. Last outing was a Wilkinson target shoot at Taupo the most recent of many.
    Name:  P1000026 (2).JPG
Views: 632
Size:  2.97 MB
    It has a permanent slot in the gun safe.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Greetings All,
    Here is another of mine. This was my first new rifle bought in the late 1960's. Used for shooting rabbits, hares and one goat by my son and I. Also used for shooting running boar target where the 10 shot mag is great. Also used for school classes. In this we put across the firearm safety message and finished with 10 shots each fired of bags at 50 metres. The avantage of the semi auto was that the student was seated behind the rifle while the rifle was loaded by the instructor so all the student had to do was aim and shoot. This was my only .22 RF for about 20 years. My son installed the supressor and an after market trigger. For a time the ownership of the rifle was unclear with my son and I sharing custody but it is back here now, where it will remain.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Name:  20220922_130339 (2).jpg
Views: 363
Size:  1.08 MB

Came here expecting to see Bo sitting next to a Stirling!
    jamie and Moa Hunter like this.

Name:  20220923_111336.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  762.6 KB

Top rifle is my Ruger m77 243 , think i bought it about 1979, still shoots ok good reliable gun.
    And my Browning BLR 308 bought in the late 1980s , was my main hunting rifle for 25 odd years till 5 years ago when i went to the dark side and bought a Tikka!!!
    sorry about the photo wrong way
    norsk, stagstalker, RUMPY and 2 others like this.

SLR
    Pretty much all of my guns are old shitters. Lol. Only shiny new one i have is a golden boy.
    I like guns that have had a life. New stuff does nothing for me.
    Brian likes this.

Greetings All,
    In one of my safes there are 5 what I refer to as old soldiers, old army rifles made between 1881 and 1943. Most altered beyond recognition. All are chambered for cartridges from the century before last. All are loaded for and shot from time to time and often come with me on my mid week gentlemans hours bush walks. Next door in the other safe stailess and synthetic abounds. Most are lighter, with better triggers and optics and yet they stay home. Some have not been shot for some time. They are accurate but just lack that something that the old soldiers lack. This is just how it is.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Daithi, Ben Waimata, RUMPY and 2 others like this.