Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Bagheera
  • 3 Post By Friwi

Thread: Leupold scope

Leupold scope

Hello I just recently got a second hand leupold scope its a VARI-X III 4.5-14X50MM so I take it as its a older version of the scope as it doesn't come with the CDS system so is there a way for me to get the CDS or turrets for it or is it best to get ones with the cds systems already on the scope?
    Ps sorry if this post is confusing

Vari-x 3 were top of the range last century, before exposed adjustable dials were used. Ut possibly some target scopes had the tall ones.

Get in touch with the NZ agents Nz Asia in Nelson. They are really good for that stuff. The “turret expert guy” only works one day a week so you might have tomake a second call to catch up with him.
    Grantn and Scott Cowan like this.

Let me share with you my personal experience with sights and scopes. Like you, I had an old rifle scope that didn't come with a CDS system, and I really wanted to upgrade. I tried to buy separate turrets with the CDS system, but quickly realized that it wasn't as convenient as I thought it would be. I had to keep changing turrets for different calibers and it became a hassle.
    That's when I discovered the Sparc Red Dot. It required no turret adjustments, regardless of caliber. All you had to do was aim and shoot. I have to admit that I was skeptical at first, but after using it it made a lasting impression on me. The Sparc Red Dot was rugged and could withstand the rigors of field use, which is always a plus in my book.
    Bottom line, I'd say the Vortex red dots are a great alternative to the standalone turrets in CDS systems, especially if you're looking for a simpler shooting experience. No need to fumble with different calibers, just aim and shoot. It might be worth considering this option, especially if you've had similar experiences with older sights like I have.

I don’t see how a red-dot and CDS turrets end up being compared here. A red-dot is more like a scope with no CDS turrets no?

Hi, in general, the red dot differs from cds in the lack of magnification and much easier adjustment of the sight itself. For me, the Vortex red dots is just much more convenient, as I don't need to increase the magnification of the scope, and 1x is quite enough for me. In fact, the Sparc red dot I use on my ARs (I have several) completely satisfies my needs. Of course, if you are a hunter you will need CDS, and red dot is probably not enough. But since I'm more of a tactical shooter and go shooting at the range, for me this is the best option available.

The point of a cds turret is to be able to compensate for your bullet trajectory Accurately and Repetitively so that you can take the longer shots between 300 and 500m with your basic vx3.
    Un less your red dot is like the trijicon with a calibrated reticle to compensate for bullet drop at distance , I don’t think it has any place for what the OP intended to do.
    Bagheera, YosemiteSam and SL600 like this.