Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Leupold screw on Dials (SOD)

well I finally got 2 sets of these now my 22 and 223 have a set ea

Name:  vx5 (Medium) (Medium).jpg
Views: 732
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  vx318 (Medium).jpg
Views: 726
Size:  41.2 KB
    7mmsaum and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Realise this is an old thread but was looking at options to give my new VX2 a birthday, but was wondering whether anyone had been through the process of retrofitting a scope with a Leupold CDS and what that might have looked like. Cheers

Great idea & great concept but at the price of $179 - $199 it’s still cheaper to send the scope back to Leupold to get a CDS turret installed!

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Great idea & great concept but at the price of $179 - $199 it’s still cheaper to send the scope back to Leupold to get a CDS turret installed!
    If you hunt regularly then the wait time when sending a scope away -and having to rezero your rifle can be painful

The screw on turret fits in one minute and you are ready to go, no rezero required,

$179 dollars is a small amount of money to spend on your hobby

You don’t win anything if you are the person that dies with the most money, and you will never see an armour guard van following a hearse

You can’t take it with you

Be happy now, buy the dial
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 03-06-2019 at 12:50 AM.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

@Seventenths how does sending it back to get a CDS work and how much did that cost? Thanks

Contact NZ Asia, they are the agents & very good to deal with. Send to them and they send it away to Leupold either US or Aus. It takes a couple of months minimum. Have used this service to fit ZL2 turrets to older model VX6’s. Costs around $300 from memory.

I’ve also purchased the S1 turrets and installed on an older VXiii myself. The install info supplied is pretty average, but there’s a good thread on here somewhere with some pics. Not too tricky to do yourself. Leupold don’t seem to support this S1 turret well at all, and if you google it or search YouTube for helpful videos all you get is the info for CDS turrets, which is a whole different set up. Most important if you buy the S1 turrets is to check that the tiny little ss ball is included and is seated correctly. This is what forms the zero stop. If you are buying from a store ask the sales person to check the unit he’s selling you and show you the wee ball. And when you install it make sure it does not fall out, you’ll never find it if it drops onto carpet
    dannyb likes this.

Caretaker
    Danny likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    @Seventenths how does sending it back to get a CDS work and how much did that cost? Thanks
    Last time i did this was May last year. Cost me approximately NZ$35.00 postage to Leupold in the states. US$60.00 for the elevation dial & US$30 return postage.

I've sent about three scopes away. Two to the US directly where times varied from 4 weeks to 7 weeks which i guess was how busy they are.

I sent one scope to Leupolds agent in Australia NOIA and that worked out to be more expensive and then i had to fill in an export permit from Australia so i could get it returned and never ever again will i send one to Australia!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Contact NZ Asia, they are the agents & very good to deal with. Send to them and they send it away to Leupold either US or Aus. It takes a couple of months minimum.
    DON'T send the scope to them as they hold onto it until they have a few before shipping them off... send it directly yourself!

Gone but not forgotten
    I bought some of these and had a go at fitting them today.
    They don't fit a VX1 2-7x33 (AD serial) or a VX Freedom 3-9x40 (AE serial), both of these had a slot too short for the tab on the SOD. Looked very different to photo in post #15. I should have got photos while I had the covers off!
    They do fit a VX3i 2.5-8x36, very easy to fit too.

Hello I just found this post and since its an old post from a few years ago now are theses still available do you think in nz?

Possibly they are, Uncle Google will soon tell you, but for general hunting FFS you don't need them.Out to 300m, possibly further, you don't need more than a standard reticle in a 3-4x power scope if your rifle is sighted in correctly and you've taken the time to get to know your rifle/scope combo. Admitedlly a range-finder helps too.If you can't hit say a dinner plate target at 200m either practice or give up. FYI I'm a shooter for 40+ years and have a somewhat jaundiced view of shooting skills these days and I'm only average at best probably.
    No.3 likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Leupold don't make them anymore, but Stoney Point (I think that was the company) make a similar thing.