Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Duplex

Ok will do a search and see what comes up...cheers

I fondled one of these today...nice n light! It wasn't mounted to a rifle, but I can see what some were saying re eye relief etc. I'm a big fan of the CDS dial setup though. Going to the VX5 also means new rings being a 30mm tube. I will keep an eye out for secondhand VX3 or VX5, otherwise probably go new VX3 if nothing suitable pops up. Cheers for the feedback

I've got one on my .308 bush pig, I rate it. If you can get a VX5 on sale, you can get a VX3i on sale!

I've shot animals out to 450 yards with it and one turn of dial gives me 800 yards and that is more than enough for a 130g projectile. I rate them so much I just purchased a VX3 4.5-14 for a new build I'm doing, a ,284 Superpig.

For me the weight and $$$ saving over a VX5 wins on the day. The VX5 only has 15 power magnification, the extra $$$ doesn't make it worth it for me, unless you want to dial further...

Yeah i'm really liking their compact size and light weight....nothing comes close as far as I can see online...
    Craigc- how does it perform at close range in the bush, say 0-40m? Also, have you got a custom dial for a specific ammo, or just using the standard MOA dial they come with?
    cheers

MB
    I got one a little while a go as the shop that cannot be named were selling them crazy cheap for some reason. Agree with the comments about eye relief, but it replaced a VX-1, so upgrade in terms of features. Also agree with the magnification at the lower end being too much for bush hunting.

I have one with the Boone and Crockett reticle and I like it for a hunting rifle. Mine didn't actually come with the CDS - I sent mine to Aussie to be upgraded to the newer dial system and do have it now with standard MOA markings, the zero lock is nice to have. Having the B&C reticle is also handy as I have the MOA measurements at 2 different mag ranges as well.
    VX3 is light and compact, glass coatings are pretty good in cold wet etc, holds zero, eye relief isn't super forgiving but you get use to it pretty quick. I doubt I would need more scope than that for the hunting I do which is mostly bush and trying to get to some slips / tops but nothing like the south island lads get.