Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Leupold VX3

Im stuck on a big red noise makeing quad bike for my hunting due to the only other option being the wheel chair which is no good ether ive got a vx3 4.5-14 that lives on the hunting gun i find 4.5 good but keep in mind point blank range for me would be 50m if i jump something on the track 100-300would be the normal shot
    I make sure the scope is set to 4.5 before leaveing and if i addust i always go back after the shot

Does anyone want to sell their 4.5-14x40 cds? Thanks

If it helps, by way of comparison I own VXIII's in 1.5-5x (x2), 1.75-6x, 2.5-8x, 3.5-10x (x3 all with CDS) and 4.5-14x (both x40 and x50 versions one with CDS and one with M4 turrets).

In terms of some general comments (based on experience and personal preference):

- the 1.5-5x is a brilliant scope and my clear favourite. Always amazing how well you can shoot with a comparatively low powered scope (I have mine on a L46 Vixen 222 and a Kimber custom 375 H&H);

- the 1.75-6x was very disappointing. The factory duplex reticule was terrible (almost no space at all between the respective thicker bars - i.e. the 'inner cross' of the Duplex was tiny). Sent it back and got a wide duplex fitted but it is now a bit the other extreme (currently sitting on a shelf);

- the 2.5-8x is a very good scope. Duplex reticule does suffer slightly as per the 1.75-6x but still very good. If you are putting the scope on a smaller rifle (Model 7/Kimber etc) and a choosing between this and the 3.5-10x would definitely choose the 2.5-8x (I have mine on a Sako L461 222);

- the 3.5-10x is probably my second favourite in the range - very useful magnification range which is probably the best compromise in terms of reticule appearance, weight, size and is a good all round scope (I have mine on a Weatherby Mark V 30 Gibbs, a Tikka T3 6.5x284 and a Remington 700 6.5 Rem Mag custom);

- the 4.5-14x is marginal as an all round scope. Does suffer from a narrower field of view (or more correctly the actual field of view is probably ok but the size of the image in the scope is relatively small - does that make sense?). Not good at short range but excellent at getting the job done for medium to longish range applications (I have mine on a 22-250 and a 6.5WSM).

Hopefully that is useful.

If you are not going to dial and are not going to go to the 'next level again' in terms of cost I would still save up my pennies and buy a Swarvoski 3-9 over either the 3.5-10x or the 2.5-8x above...
    7mmsaum, kiwijames and Puffin like this.

If you are not going to dial and are not going to go to the 'next level again' in terms of cost I would still save up my pennies and buy a Swarvoski 3-9 over either the 3.5-10x or the 2.5-8x above...[/QUOTE]

+1, and also look at Kahles or Zeiss if u can spare that little extra cash.
    For same money (or less) than the leupies I'd also make sure you consider 2.5 - 10x44 Vortex PST, or Nikon Monarch 2.5 -10 or 3-12, or 3 -12x Vortex or Weaver Superslam or Grandslam or Burris Signature Select is also a good 3-12x44 w ballistic reticle but no dial up. U can pick up these scopes 2nd hand in good nick if u are patient and save a couple of hundie.
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsika View Post
    - the 1.5-5x is a brilliant scope and my clear favourite. Always amazing how well you can shoot with a comparatively low powered scope (I have mine on a L46 Vixen 222 and a Kimber custom 375 H&H);
    Great reply, and +1 for the VX3 1.5-5x for a bush rifle, also a favourite here. Limits me to 300m on 5x, and with no turrets on mine a bit of hold-over required at that distance. If you think 300m or so might also cover your application at the top end then I think you'll like the 1.5x at the other end for fast acquisition in the bush. It's the 20mm objective that makes it shine and can be protected by the front ring, and won't snag up on vegetation.
    Danny likes this.