Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Lever action

So there are no good quality brand new levers on the market and one must search for a good example of a 40plus year old rifle?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

It certainly sounds like it, I'm happy with my Savage it needs to loose some weight though, I think taking off the bases rings and scope and getting a lighter style stock will help a lot
    I like the rotary mag it feeds flawlesly, trigger is ok and it has a new barrel so will outsee me.

The last 94 I had was from memory an early 90s Winchester 94Ranger AE (angle eject) - fine rifle. Latest 94s are made by Miroku - dearer but v well made. Also - no reason you can't pick up a new Marlin 336.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    You must be a Marlin owner. I can tell by your shrivelled prune-like tone of Baptist self-righteousness. Right at the start I will say that Winchester owners are simply cooler than you. This must rankle.

All I can say is that the one I had all the screws needed tightening up all the time. I was not alone in this when I talked to others.

Yes, Marlins are heavy, we are in accord; actually one pound heavier than a Winchester.

The triggers are slushy - compared to Winchesters, and even Rossi 92's, which are excellent in my experience. The only lever action with a worse trigger than the average Marlin, is a BLR, also winner of the Worlds Most Ugliest Firearm.

Lever throw - even in your photograph you can see the MArlin has at least another inch or more. A Winchester user will notice this immediately, and will have to force himself to press the lever back to cock the rifle. It's not a fault, but it's not as good as the Shorter Winchester lever swing.

They are both rattly compared to a Winchester 92 or a Rossi 92.

They stopped making them when they also stopped making the Winchester 70 which was over industrial relations and a change of factories. They still make them now and charge a great deal for a Japanese manufactured one. The design is so popular, that Mossberg makes the same rifle.

As for your poll, the Castbullet site is full of geriatric thrifty pensioners who cast bullets. None of them can see very well, they have Marlins because of the ease of mounting a scope.
    Indeed, Marlins are popular rifles. But they havn't sold anywhere near seven million of them and they have been for sale for as long as the Winchester has.

But, the significant thing about my post is that I said I didn't like Marlins. I didn't say you didn't like Marlins.

(PS, Oh, and there's too much wood on them. The stocks are fat. Winchesters are slimmer.)

(PPS. The comparison of the 30/30 and the 7x57 is an observation. If you have different numbers than me then please let me know.)

Carlsen on behalf of common decency just tone down on Being a Protentious know it all.

You have your experiences and opinion but your really dragging the whole thread down and it's not on.

BLRs are available new. They may not be the prettiest one but they have a few advantages over the others.

Stacked removable box magazine hence can handle pionty calibres without hitting primers. Calibres like 308, 30/06, 243, 450 Marlin (rare but we did sell one) and 7mmRemmag

Some are a take down so the barrel separates from the action. Fits in a pack nicely.

Miroku also made these. Called the MLR. In fact Miroku made them for Browning as well....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Carlsen on behalf of common decency just tone down on Being a Protentious know it all.

You have your experiences and opinion but your really dragging the whole thread down and it's not on.

I am posting about rifles. You should post about the rifles too. Give me your opinion on Winchester versus Marlin. I am uninterested in what you think of me personally. It is enough for me to carry the weight of my own opinion, without having to worry about your feelings as well. I mean this in the most amiable way.
    dirtyhabit likes this.

Banned
    The Winchester 94 is still available under the Winchester name, but now manufactured in Japan, with a high price. To be honest, I don't think they are imported in New Zealand. The Marlin 336 is still around and readily available, at what I think is a fair price, around 900$. Although they have changed now and are made by Remington in a different factory, and I have read of quality control issues.
    Mossberg still make the 464, which is their copy of the Winchester 94, with a rounded top, drilled and tapped for a scope. I have not used one of these and dont know how well they go. I cant see how they can go wrong though if they just copied the browning design...
    And Rossi have stopped making the Rio Grande copy of the Marlin, or at least I think they have. I think they have also stopped making the .454 Casull in the model 92, which is a shame I would have liked to try one. They are still showing on the Ampro website, so maybe they still might have a couple left.

Otherwise there is the Browning lever action already mentioned, which comes in long action cartridges as well, a modern take on it all, as Timattalon has described. I like the old steel receiver ones with a straight stock, but I am a traditionalist.

There are also the Uberti made versions of the Winchester 73 and the Henry rifle. They are well made, and expensive too, but they come only in .44/40 or 357 Magnum cartridges and the rifles will not handle modern hot loads, you have to stick with black powder pressures. There is nothing wrong with this, an old school lead .44/40 will go straight through a red deer at 100 yards.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 01-01-2017 at 08:10 PM.

You must be a Marlin owner. I can tell by your shrivelled prune-like tone of Baptist self-righteousness. Right at the start I will say that Winchester owners are simply cooler than you. This must rankle.

All I can say is that the one I had all the screws needed tightening up all the time. I was not alone in this when I talked to others.

Yes, Marlins are heavy, we are in accord; actually one pound heavier than a Winchester.

The triggers are slushy - compared to Winchesters, and even Rossi 92's, which are excellent in my experience. The only lever action with a worse trigger than the average Marlin, is a BLR, also winner of the Worlds Most Ugliest Firearm.

Lever throw - even in your photograph you can see the MArlin has at least another inch or more. A Winchester user will notice this immediately, and will have to force himself to press the lever back to cock the rifle. It's not a fault, but it's not as good as the Shorter Winchester lever swing.

They are both rattly compared to a Winchester 92 or a Rossi 92.

They stopped making them when they also stopped making the Winchester 70 which was over industrial relations and a change of factories. They still make them now and charge a great deal for a Japanese manufactured one. The design is so popular, that Mossberg makes the same rifle.

As for your poll, the Castbullet site is full of geriatric thrifty pensioners who cast bullets. None of them can see very well, they have Marlins because of the ease of mounting a scope.
    Indeed, Marlins are popular rifles. But they havn't sold anywhere near seven million of them and they have been for sale for as long as the Winchester has.

But, the significant thing about my post is that I said I didn't like Marlins. I didn't say you didn't like Marlins.

(PS, Oh, and there's too much wood on them. The stocks are fat. Winchesters are slimmer.)

(PPS. The comparison of the 30/30 and the 7x57 is an observation. If you have different numbers than me then please let me know.)
    ill hit this short and fast then i am done with his thread

have a look at the name i use on this forum carlsonhighway . . . rossi.45
    that you dont like Marlins is OK but its how you do it annoys me . . . they are better than the bag job you did on them.
    ive owned 3 Winchester 94s, currently own 1 Rossi and 1 Marlin . . a Martini doesnt really count as a leveraction so ill leave that one out.

Winchester owners are cooler etc etc . . . grow up

R.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Screw y'all. Ruger 96/22.
    Best lever action ever.
    timattalon likes this.

Levers are great fun. I stick to getting my lever fix in 22 though. Picked up a 94/22 off a member here in trade. Surprised how much I've enjoyed it. Beautiful little rifle and shoots brilliantly.

Sorry Marlin owners, as a non- expert the 94s just look right. The Marlin to me is uglier than the blr. Life's too short for ugly rifles (although I do have a savage in the back of the safe - only comes out after dark ��)!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    ill hit this short and fast then i am done with his thread

have a look at the name i use on this forum carlsonhighway . . . rossi.45
    that you dont like Marlins is OK but its how you do it annoys me . . . they are better than the bag job you did on them.
    ive owned 3 Winchester 94s, currently own 1 Rossi and 1 Marlin . . a Martini doesnt really count as a leveraction so ill leave that one out.

Winchester owners are cooler etc etc . . . grow up

R.
    I will hate Marlins as much as I want to, possibly even more than I really do, and I will even post about it some more if you press me. But you have to stop getting angry at what strangers write on the internet.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 02-01-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    Wildman and dirtyhabit like this.

MSL
    Just shot my '94, fist size group at 60 metres off hand so pretty happy

Banned
    Offhand? Excellent. Any more photos would be appreciated...

MSL
    Offhand as in standing in the hay barn shooting at a piece of 6x2 with a vivid marked diamond on it, as it was pissing down.

I am posting about rifles. You should post about the rifles too. Give me your opinion on Winchester versus Marlin. I am uninterested in what you think of me personally. It is enough for me to carry the weight of my own opinion, without having to worry about your feelings as well. I mean this in the most amiable way.
    If the Winchesters are soo fantastic as you claim then why did Winchester go belly up in the 80's after being sold to its employees? Marlin got bought by Remington in the mid 2000's. There is no contest when it comes to mounting a optic(Marlin wins), the extra inch of lever throw? Are you insecure about an extra inch(or lack of)?. When it comes to accuracy the humble Marlin wins also with the leverevolution ammunition bringing in a number of rifles going under the inch.

I was making the point that you missed yet again( are you a person who does things three times?) that although entitled to your opinion you were going about it in a wanker sorta way and was just reminding you of the lack of common decency.

Yours Truly from a PROUD Marlin Owner