Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Lever action

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Levers are great fun. I stick to getting my lever fix in 22 though. Picked up a 94/22 off a member here in trade. Surprised how much I've enjoyed it. Beautiful little rifle and shoots brilliantly.

Sorry Marlin owners, as a non- expert the 94s just look right. The Marlin to me is uglier than the blr. Life's too short for ugly rifles (although I do have a savage in the back of the safe - only comes out after dark ��)!
    They say you can have a lot of fun with the ugly ones
    P38, Boar Freak, 308 and 3 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    If the Winchesters are soo fantastic as you claim then why did Winchester go belly up in the 80's after being sold to its employees? Marlin got bought by Remington in the mid 2000's. There is no contest when it comes to mounting a optic(Marlin wins), the extra inch of lever throw? Are you insecure about an extra inch(or lack of)?. When it comes to accuracy the humble Marlin wins also with the leverevolution ammunition bringing in a number of rifles going under the inch.

I was making the point that you missed yet again( are you a person who does things three times?) that although entitled to your opinion you were going about it in a wanker sorta way and was just reminding you of the lack of common decency.

Yours Truly from a PROUD Marlin Owner
    I can demonstrate my opinion in any fucking way I like. If I cared what you thought of it I would have sent you a Christmas card.

Winchester went out of business in the 1930's smartass. It was sold to its employees in the 1980's by Olin, who continued to manufacture rifles in the same factory under license. It that too pretentious and know it all for you? I didnt even have to google it. But what does the manufacturing history have to do with why I like Winchesters? Who cares?

You may continue to own your goddamn Marlin and be pleased about it. I said: I wouldn't touch a Marlin. I'm not bagging the rifles anymore, now I'm starting to wonder about the fucking owners.
    Wildman, Tahr, outdoorlad and 1 others like this.

Rock river, Carlsen - drop it. Have owned heaps of Winchesters and Marlins and both make some very good rifles. Nothing wrong with the 336 range, and the 94s were still fine rifles up to last 3-4 years of final production. New Miroku made 94s excellent. There is no wrong choice here. Just personal preference.

I prefer the 94 but would grab a 336 any day. In fact gadgetman says he's about to buy one and whether he likes it not that 336 is gonna spend good time in my closet. Don't tell him that. Let him buy it first.

Also a great fan of the Winny 9422 (22LR) and 9422M (WMR). Restored and sold a brace of them couple of years ago - one in each caliber. Beautiful wee rimfire levers.
    madjon_, gadgetman, zimmer and 2 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Now here's a lever action worth mentioning Sarko Finnwolf | Trade Me
    veitnamcam, mudgripz and gadgetman like this.

Agreed - what a gem. Very tempting. Problem is I would need to chop and thread/suppress it, but the Finnwolf is/is becoming a classic, kind of rifle you might want to keep original.

A question on Uberti lever actions - not a make I've had anything to do with. Italian of course doing copies of old school lever models. Has anyone owned one or looked into these rifles? Seems to be original old school calibers and pistol rounds - no 30-30 - or am I wrong here. Be interested to hear about them if someone knows this make.

Ejected
    I think that the role that lever actions play (small carbine that's fast to fire and takes a pistol caliber) is now better filled by the modern do everything rifle - AR15.

Digit is selling 9mm ARs for $1700. One is on my ever growing purchase list.

MSL
    The role they play for me is not anything to do with pistol calibres, my current one being 30-30, it's more about the slim profile/feel in the hand. So they are worlds apart i reckon
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    I think that the role that lever actions play (small carbine that's fast to fire and takes a pistol caliber) is now better filled by the modern do everything rifle - AR15.

Digit is selling 9mm ARs for $1700. One is on my ever growing purchase list.
    But a lever is much cooler, sleeker, and sexier, ... and way less evil.
    P38, scottrods, mikee and 1 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Agreed - what a gem. Very tempting. Problem is I would need to chop and thread/suppress it, but the Finnwolf is/is becoming a classic, kind of rifle you might want to keep original.

A question on Uberti lever actions - not a make I've had anything to do with. Italian of course doing copies of old school lever models. Has anyone owned one or looked into these rifles? Seems to be original old school calibers and pistol rounds - no 30-30 - or am I wrong here. Be interested to hear about them if someone knows this make.
    I've had a fair bit to do with Uberti lever actions, both the 1866 & 1873 models.
    They are well made rifles and as accurate as any modern lever gun. The two models above are only available in pistol caliber and are heavy guns, noticeably more so than
    the Rossi or Marlin. The 1873 is a neat gun to take apart, the entire working mechanism is visible with the removal of the two side plates by undoing a single screw.

The 1866 is a little more difficult to disassemble and I've heard (not seen) of the rifles brass receiver being stretched by firing too many full house loads.
    To follow the evolution of the lever action rifle, from the Henry, 1866, 1873, 1892 then 1894 rifles is quite cool. Each gun has unique features and noticeable design changes along the way.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Hillary? Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    This will make your eyes burn then,heres the evil version
    Mossberg 464 SPX Tactical Lever Action
    Name:  464-spx2.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  76.5 KB

Its just so wrong in so many ways its not possible to list all of them
    mudgripz, Double Shot and Mathias like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Attachment 61611

No NO NOOOOOO,................ Thats like a AR15 with a wooden stock............. just not right
    mikee and Double Shot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Hillary? Is that you?
    Bugger Bill, I think I've been tumbled!
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Attachment 61611

How do I make that unseen?
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    No NO NOOOOOO,................ Thats like a AR15 with a wooden stock............. just not right
    If you ever wondered what a firearm would look like if it were designed by a "brainstorming session" at a marketing dept whose members have less than no idea of what a firearm actually is then THIS IS IT folks
    gadgetman and viper like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.