Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree618Likes

Thread: The Lever Aficionados Thread

Starline makes 45-90 brass, prophet river firearms in Canada, has it in stock, if he cant find any local NZ, and will likely ship international, at least he has to me in the past. Ive got a mate with a old sharps in 45-120,? perhaps 110, that's a real beast of a rifle, forget how much FFG black powder he uses, but you've got to take a couple steps side ways to see if you hit what your shooting at.
    norsk likes this.

Banned
    If I wanted to shoot the rifle I would try reloading .45/70 brass and seating the bullet out further. I have read that you can shoot a .45/70 in a .45/90, and if it is loaded with black powder it would not be dangerous in any way. The longer .45 cartidges were express cartridges - would shoot lighter bullets for more velocity. I am pretty sure the .45/90 was loaded with 260g - 300 grain bullets and may have a twist for those weights. (not the heavy bullets in a .45/70.) I have a book on these old west cartridges round here somewhere.

Southernman is right - starline make brass for the .45/90 - Neil Hayes will probably have some call Hayes and Associates.

They put saddle rings on the carbines, not the rifles, or at least I have not seen a Winchester rifle with a saddle ring. But you could order the carbines either way.

Year guys top advice but the cops here get a little jumpy if you have loaded ammunition that is head stamped one thing but used in another
    If your caught with ammo that is not on your ticket you can risk losing it! It's no joke unfortunately.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Year guys top advice but the cops here get a little jumpy if you have loaded ammunition that is head stamped one thing but used in another
    If your caught with ammo that is not on your ticket you can risk losing it! It's no joke unfortunately.
    @Sideshow
    Yeah that's really wanky over there for that. heard about it and don't like it. We don't want that crap here.
    You aren't even allowed to lend your rifle to a friend either as it isn't on his license. is that correct? PITA if the case

Yes @csmiffy that is correct rifle you can't lend, but you cand lend an estate rifle to shoot under supervision. i.e. On a rifle range or deer stalking. Shotgun is a different story as it's a different license and is actually a right to own! I won't get into it here about the how's and whys.
    They are trying to make the process more streamline though.
    For example you apply for a caliber say 7x57 on your ticket (there's no sickos here that would go down the 270 road) once you get the rifle in that caliber you send the serial number into the police and the seller/gifting person also sends in that it is no longer on there ticket. Now here's the shit thing say you brake the rifle you now have to inform the police that it's no longer on your ticket and reapply for that caliber again and go through the whole process again. Each time you apply you have to give reasonable grounds for having the firearm (just because you want one doesn't cut it) also a letter from the ground owner, club or estates that you are shooting over.
    So that 50cal is out and even the likes of .338 is marginal at best. The police think you might be trying to snipe someone, because they saw it in a movie! Not easy but you get there in the end.
    Shotguns fill ya boots though any number as many as you want.....so long as it can fire no more than three rounds
    Now back to the thread

ps I do know the NZ system as I am a kiwi and did have a NZ ticket. Also one of the good things about the uk system is that it stops you from impulse buying
    csmiffy likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

heres my Baby-

Model 94 .375Winchester
    and thats a Ruger #1 .303 atop

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    heres my Baby-

Model 94 .375Winchester
    and thats a Ruger #1 .303 atop
    That Ruger, oh my that ruger..........There was one for sale on trade me, is that another one? There cannot be many of those about.

There are quite a few around I should have bought one when they first saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    That Ruger, oh my that ruger..........There was one for sale on trade me, is that another one? There cannot be many of those about.
    yeah mines sittin safe an sound in Oz mate most of the shipment went to Canada, Aus and maybe a few to NZ- all have history with the old .303 cartridge from the Wars.

need to run .312s as bores often oversized as per old specs but once ya get that sorted they are rippers.
    mine loves woodleighs 215s , an would make an ideal Cast hunter/plinker

Banned
    I had one. I really should have kept it. But I wanted the barrel to be longer - no reason not to have a 24 inch barrel on it since the action is so short. Plus, you couldn't see down the sights - the stock was for scoped shooting. You literally couldn't get you head anywhere near lining them up. The open sights are just ornaments on that rifle. It might not interest others but I wanted to shoot it with open sights as well.
    I would still like to get a Ruger no.1, but they are so very expensive for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    I had one. I really should have kept it. But I wanted the barrel to be longer - no reason not to have a 24 inch barrel on it since the action is so short. Plus, you couldn't see down the sights - the stock was for scoped shooting. You literally couldn't get you head anywhere near lining them up. The open sights are just ornaments on that rifle. It might not interest others but I wanted to shoot it with open sights as well.
    I would still like to get a Ruger no.1, but they are so very expensive for what they are.
    you needa NECG peep for it buddy..... poifect-
    that little 2-7 is as far back as can be an it still is only juust enough, i gotta creep the stock a little if i want to get a full scope picture... long eye releif scope of some sort better suited OR the Offset or Setback ring from Ruger helps for suure........
    the ones with sights are a little plain jane, the Factory sighted ones look schmick as over-all.

not too fussed on barrel length, Great Sambar poker, the cartridge itself has killed Alot of Moose among other big game so no qualms with its performance on the Big Game, a 300 win mag it isnt but shes a pearler for what it is ay. , without whinging too much of course

Wilson’s have been trying to sell a brand new #1 in 257 Roberts for some time, full stock too. I’d love to buy it but $3000? Not going to happen any time soon.
    More meplat, more better.

Is it just me or do lever guns just look wrong with a scope on them?love this thread tho,my old man was American and used to have 2 guns and shot everything with them,a model 94 in 30/30 and a browning A5 in 20gauge,I still have and still use the 20g,gonna be a sad day when the steel shot rules come in for sub gauges ��

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Is it just me or do lever guns just look wrong with a scope on them?love this thread tho,my old man was American and used to have 2 guns and shot everything with them,a model 94 in 30/30 and a browning A5 in 20gauge,I still have and still use the 20g,gonna be a sad day when the steel shot rules come in for sub gauges ��
    Couldn't agree more, the only thing worse than a levergun with a scope on it is one made from stainless.
    Carlsen Highway and blake like this.
    More meplat, more better.

Or has a red dot sight,tried one on my Marlin model 60 and while accurate it just looked naff,went back to the peep sight.