Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By Scott Cowan

Thread: Light weight Carbon stock builds update - this is how have they held up a year later

Light weight Carbon stock builds update - this is how have they held up a year later

Well after a little over a year since I build my first lightweight Carbon stock (Non conventionally built with Paulownia core) I built a second for my long range Tikkka and have hunted with them both for the year. more with the Bush gun and they have held up well. The second one I tried to short cut by using a bit of quick dry resin... never again as it just doesn't have the strength, I got away with it because I did a camo spray on the stock so you cant see the flaws, but I did need to re install a sling swivel and there are a couple pressure dings. Got a fat hind with it at 675 yards last time I went out too. perfect shot placement.

As for the bush gun the stock and Tikka bottom plate/trigger guard weigh 450g and its held up better than I could have ever asked for - strapped to the quad on bumpy rides, bashed on barbed wire fences and opening gates. No pressure dings, the odd mark from barbed wire. Shot a bunch of deer, a wild bull, a couple pigs and dozens of goats. Rifle is a 6.5/06 AI and shoots 1/4 MOA with 130 bergers. Has a couple of discoloration marks where I used a different resin to try fill bubbles.

A total success - even tho it was a difficult learning curve building the first one. Yes I should finish the next two I started but have been building a tiny house so when that's done Ill crank back into it. And I have a tactical stock planned too so that process will be uploaded.

For anyone who wants to give this a go you will need some wood working skills and a lot of patience and a half hour to go through the old thread titled 'Lockdown light weight carbon wrap stock build- here we go". And a blank of timber to start you off. I have them available for $50 plus shipping and am happy to answer any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Tuidog, shift14, chainsaw and 6 others like this.