Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Lightest weight survival rifle

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    So what calibre could theoretically be made the lightest?

A 223 ?

You don't need much of a stock
    A 22LR I guess.

But if you wanted something small with some grunt a 22 Terminator springs to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Agreed, but when the goo drooling masses come for you, you better be ready.
    They're already here, posting about zombies on the Internet
    7mmsaum, Brakelie and Daggers_187 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    While it's theoretically possible, such an infection resulting in a widespread epidemic and a 'SHTF' scenario is ludicrously unlikely, and obsessing over shooting the victims of such an unfortunate sickness makes you look like A Fucking Nutbar, because you are.
    Agreed, "zombies" seems to be a wet dream for shooters as opposed to hunters to justify their latest tacticool gear purchase.

There have been numerous SHTF events around the world including events like Christchurch which demonstrate how well the rest of the community, country and world come together and help out, running round with a gun just isn't required. I would be more worried about water purification and storage devices, it takes weeks to starve to death but only days to dehydrate.

Only a second when you get bitten by a zombie
    7mmsaum, Gibo and Brakelie like this.

the new ACC handi rifle blackout single shot weight is 5lb would be the lightest around,its not available yet in nz, thinking of getting one myself, they are available in australia, at cleaver firearms ,queensland
    Nikon P-300BLK Scope Review

Quote Originally Posted by Brakelie View Post
    Agreed, "zombies" seems to be a wet dream for shooters as opposed to hunters to justify their latest tacticool gear purchase.

There have been numerous SHTF events around the world including events like Christchurch which demonstrate how well the rest of the community, country and world come together and help out, running round with a gun just isn't required. I would be more worried about water purification and storage devices, it takes weeks to starve to death but only days to dehydrate.
    I'm a hunter and a shooter and I own lots of things that could be described as tactical and I think the zombie thing is the dumbest shit. I'd refrain from generalisations

Caretaker
    I have decided on a .223 with 55g Gamekings for this and will talk to Scott at SSRNZ.CO.NZ asap about an alloy receiver build.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Short barreled .223/.308 T3 or Rem 700 in an MDT LSS Chassis with folding stock adapter.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    In that case back to the 223 baikal break neck / take down. Chop it, and hack the stock.

Are you happy with open sights for this pack rifle?

Oh, and pls tell Dougie that rifle better have some scratches on it when it gets back to Welly

Baikal for sure, cheap enough to have as a spare or back up, accurate enough to do the business.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

lol classic zombie talk, should we start inporting apc's with 50 cal machine guns on top, pack/survival rifle has a cool factor, i go tramping more than hunting would love the lightest weight posible rifle to take with me when im just tramping,

Caretaker
    Have decided on a 223 and now would like to find a rifle thats very small and light so i can fish rivers without it bulking up my pack

I don't mind modifying something to suit.

What about one of those howa micro action.
    Change stock and cut barrel to 12" add suppressor
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

LJP
    How about a Thompson Contender? Seriously small, single shot 223. Put a pistol forend on, chop barrel to minimum length, flute barrel for extra weight savings.

Caretaker
    Both great ideas, will look into it today

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Have decided on a 223 and now would like to find a rifle thats very small and light so i can fish rivers without it bulking up my pack

I don't mind modifying something to suit.
    my pighunter mate has just brought a "rossi" (I know. I know) in .223, had the barrel cut down so total length is a inch over "minimum length" and suppressed it.
    Fitted a Tasco PDP3 red dot to it and reckons its the bees knees for getting thru the scrub etc.
    Since most of his shots are 30 yards or less he say velocity loss with short barrel makes bugger all difference
    It is certainly nice and short/pointable
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.