Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lightweight Hunting Rifles

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    G'Day Tui_man 2.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Good question on what qualifies as Lightweight, maybe 3Kg, what do you and others think?

The main reason for this post, was to get a look any other forum participants custom hunting rifles and in my experience, most of these are lightweight!
    We all know what a factory Rem Mod 7 looks like, so I was I was hoping to see some other variations on these and other rifles.

Doh!
    Homer
    shes a little more than a standard mod 7

light in small cal id call sub 3kg or around 7lbs
    light in bigger cal id cal light sub 4kg or around 9lbs

a few factors come into light, smaller cals shorter actions shorter thinner barrels, smaller lighter scopes
    bigger cals have the long action (mostly), longer heavier barrels an bigger dial up scopes witch have to be taken into factor also

then theres acceries, bipod, suppressor, muzzel brake sling etc etc

i weigh all mine loaded as if i was going hunting for the day

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

Tui_Man 2, the long action rifles are going to be a bit heavier but how can we make these rifles, even lighter?
    I use a few methods to achieve this but I prefer to keep these to myself!
    Some normal "Jenny Craig" methods include, incorporating Aluminum, Ti or synthetic Bolt-On components, Fluting of barrel and bolt etc, etc

Yes, I would also normally weigh the rifle with a full quota of ammo and a sling but for the purpose of this thread, I went for the scoped rifle only.

Doh!
    Homer

my 6.5x284 is 6 lbs 9.8 oz, or 2.99938 grams, bare but with nightforce steel bases. Just under 10lb ready to climb Everest.

I consider it pretty light for a LR rig, but nothing beats a montana type build like Gregs various ones for actual bush bashing.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Reply from the maimai...

700 is a 7mm/338 Norma Improved & M7 is a 6.5*47L...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Sam - Just out of interest what are you doing with the Model7 6.5x47L. What barrel length are you going down to and what are your suppressor diemensions and specs likely to be?

I am running a finnlight with a 19" barrel, fluted True-Flite No2 in 6.5x47L and a gunworks duralium. (4" forward, 5" back, 375grams). Set up as a bush/gen purpose with a VX3 1.5-5 Leupold and Conetrol mounts... total weight no suppressor, ammo or sling 3.3 kgs.

Running Barnes TTSX 100gr @ 3030. Nice accurate but hardly low weight. Considering turning it into a varmint/multi purpose rig with a dialing scope and 123/140 amaxs, and building a dedicated bush suppressed shorty.

Thinking about a real light weight shorty something like what you are doing with a carved Model 7 or maybe one of the new Pierce titanium actions, 16" barrel, light stock and suppressor.... do you reckon would get enough ooomph out of a 16" 6.5x47L, or am I better to go 308 with a 130g TTSX like Mr Duley..??

What do you hope to get from the Model 7 weight wise after carving it up. What will you use for projectiles and scope options..... are you going to Longe range it with a dial scope or is it going to be a dedicated SR rifle?

Cheers

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Hey Sidney, Barrel is down to 18 inches. Supressor is one of tui_man2's Carbon Sleeve suppressors. Weight about 300g, 4 inches forward, probably similar back, he will be able to give you more accurate specs... Barrel is a #2 TF also, fluted. tui_man2 has cut the tenon right back to save weight. The total weight savings should be close to 1kg, depending on how light the stock comes in at. Roughly 450g off the barrel, close to 400g off the stock, 30-40g off the supressor, bolt fluting, light pin and shroud, talley rings, lighter scope etc will all save a bit as well. I think somewhere around 6lb, plus ammo will be pretty achievable (so supressed and scoped at that weight) given it was just under 8lb previously.

Certainly will get more ooomph out of a .308. Depends how much you need and how far you want to shoot. I reckon 2,750fps (ish) will be achievable with 129gr SST's out of the 18 inch barrel (which I plan to use - 2,800fps out of a 20" barrel before the chop). I plan to sight in at 250m, which will give drop of 60cm at 400m (as far as I plan to shoot it) and plenty of energy as well. I thought about the 100gr TTSX or the 127gr LRX as an option, but think I will stick with the SST's at this point unless they prove unreliable

I have a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 scope for it. No dialling planned, just plenty of practice at ranges between 200-400m
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    few nice bangers there homer, what classes light weight?

sub xxxkgs?

Shes been on the 'jenny craig' alright, im sure claw will post some pics when he gets it back

Light weight is good but all the go fast bits cost, how do you find the hi tech stocks? i have broken mine an know someone esle who has also, an found they require abit of fiddling to get to fit nice, i like painted rifles when they are new but give them some abuse an they look like shit
    Me maybe??...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Me maybe??...
    haha that would be you

Homer here one my easy day hunt rigs of trip depending whats been hunted
    comes in like shown as you have at 3.45kg

Cheers Sam

Mr Tuiman..

Can you followup on your supressor specs a bit. Just looking at the pic above the diameter appears larger than my duralium slightly? what is the diameter? Can you confirm front and back measurements from the muzzle for me please. As a general idea with the specs that you are building here how would compare with a Gunworks can for noise??

Cheers

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Mr Tuiman..

Can you followup on your supressor specs a bit. Just looking at the pic above the diameter appears larger than my duralium slightly? what is the diameter? Can you confirm front and back measurements from the muzzle for me please. As a general idea with the specs that you are building here how would compare with a Gunworks can for noise??

Cheers
    If you look under
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...e-things-1358/

but they vairy depending on the modle etc, they are 44mm?

have more stuff coming in a few weeks that will be 38mm an still have the 44 also as i have ran out of the 38mm material, also do alloy ones they are 42mm an the pull apart ones are 48mm an 38mm

the lenght forward an behind varies also from 3-8" back an 3-5" forward

weight is from 170-520grams also depending

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    haha that would be you

Homer here one my easy day hunt rigs of trip depending whats been hunted
    comes in like shown as you have at 3.45kg
    Something like that would be extremely tempting! hmmm I'm seriously considering a 7mm rem mag right now aye.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Something like that would be extremely tempting! hmmm I'm seriously considering a 7mm rem mag right now aye.......
    You sure are a multiple serious considerer
    veitnamcam likes this.

Hi Homer, Factory Model 7 wood stock, 18 and 1 quarter inch barrel.
    Have since had it bedded and pillars ,that tightened the grouping inside an inch all day.
    Bolt has Aluminium shroud and pin assembly,skeletal bolt handle.
    On top is a M8 Leupold 2-7 Lightweight.
    All up with scope it weighs 6lb's 2.72ounces.Suits me just fine.

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Doinit,

There a bloody great rifle, no doubt about it!
    What is your Mod 7 chambered for?

Doh!
    Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    G'Day Doinit,

There a bloody great rifle, no doubt about it!
    What is your Mod 7 chambered for?

Doh!
    Homer
    .260 Rem.