Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By HJA8
  • 3 Post By Rockyw

Thread: Lithgow LA 101 .17 HMR

Lithgow LA 101 .17 HMR

Hi, I just bought a new Lithgow LA 101 in .17 HMR caliber. I am pleased with the finish on the gun, and it shoots well, but disappointed with the creepy trigger. Reviews I read said the trigger was heavy, but crisp.

I haven't found that to be the case, its fairly heavy, but not crisp, and has a lot of creep. I have ordered a lighter trigger spring from high velocity hunting in Australia, which hasn't arrived yet, but now it seems I will have a light creepy trigger
    if I change the spring only.

Has anyone on here got one of these rifles, and if so, have you done, or can you suggest any mods to improve the trigger creep ?

Also, they come with a 5 round mag, which feeds perfectly, and are supposed to accept CZ magazines, so I bought a CZ 452 10 round mag, and it wont clip in properly, only the front part clips in, and the rear is loose so cant be used.

Anyone know what the go is with magazines for these ?

My trigger was never creepy just heavy. I bought a spring kit from Delta Tactical in Oz. They don't seem to stock them anymore. The kit comes with 2 springs. I only replaced the easier to change one and the trigger is a lot lighter so didn't go any further. Not as light as I would like it to be though. The only disappointment with the LA101!

Magazine. I bought a 22rf CZ 10 shot polymer mag off Gunworks b4 the new regs kicked in and a mail order became a trigger event.
    Like you I expected the mag to fit straight up but alas... It wouldn't latch.
    I have carefully needle filed the locking latches on the mag, a bit at a time, slowly slowly and it now latches and fits perfectly. And also feeds perfectly.

I did intended getting correct 10 shot mags from Oz but the outfit selling them was out of stock so went with the local purchase.

Oh, just to add, I use the original Lithgow 5 shot mag, a CZ 5 shot (unmodified mag) and the 5 shot mag from my BRNO #1 in my LA101. They all latch perfectly and feed perfectly.
    So why did the 10 shot not latch???
    Last edited by zimmer; 10-09-2023 at 09:33 PM.

My kit was made by Lumley Arms. Here is their blurb below. 2 Springs, I fitted the pressure one but not the second which they state is for travel

A new trigger spring set of two springs addressing both trigger pull weight and travel. These both replace the originals rated by Lithgow Arms at ~2kg (4.4 lbs). Our spring breaks cleanly and consistently with reduced creep at ~730g (1.6 lbs)* when installed correctly**.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyw View Post
    Hi, I just bought a new Lithgow LA 101 in .17 HMR caliber. I am pleased with the finish on the gun, and it shoots well, but disappointed with the creepy trigger. Reviews I read said the trigger was heavy, but crisp.

I haven't found that to be the case, its fairly heavy, but not crisp, and has a lot of creep. I have ordered a lighter trigger spring from high velocity hunting in Australia, which hasn't arrived yet, but now it seems I will have a light creepy trigger
    if I change the spring only.

Has anyone on here got one of these rifles, and if so, have you done, or can you suggest any mods to improve the trigger creep ?

Also, they come with a 5 round mag, which feeds perfectly, and are supposed to accept CZ magazines, so I bought a CZ 452 10 round mag, and it wont clip in properly, only the front part clips in, and the rear is loose so cant be used.

Anyone know what the go is with magazines for these ?
    Get the spring from Aussie…… it’s frustrating that they don’t include one as they are only $20

Thanks guys

A good gunsmith should be able to get you a creep free trigger, they are easy to work on. However Id first ring or email Lithgow in Aussie and see what they say, I have found them very responsive and willing to help.

@Rockyw Have you just ordered a single spring or a 2 spring kit? You need the second spring to reduce creep. IIRC my Lumley kit was AU$15. I also got their SS bolt handle and their SS shroud. I don't usually bling any of my firearms but it was easy to include the extra bits in the order.

Do the spring change first and then worry about a gunsmith if needed. Unless you're not mechanically able.

Ordered a single 1.5 pound trigger spring from High velocity hunting Australia. So do I need a sear spring as well ?

This mod, together with the Lumley Arms spring kit, will eliminate "creep" totally!
    There is a very informative article on the LA101 trigger assembly if you have a look in the top right hand corner of this link from Lumley USA:

https://lumleyarms.us/lithgow-crosso...rigger-springs

Tentman and zimmer like this.

Well I took my Lithgow LA 101 over to Gun supplies in Rotorua, to get the lighter trigger spring installed, and hopefully get rid of the creep. Picked it up today, and a miracle has been worked.

Pull weight is now a consistent 1.3 pounds, and crisp with no creep, very happy with the trigger now. Trigger is every bit as good as my T1X or better.
    Tentman, zimmer and HJA8 like this.