Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Little bit of help ??

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    After work daylight till dark
    Id just get a t3 lite. These small calibres don't really need a heavy barrel or much weight at all.
    I use a 1:8 twist .223 you could use a bit flater calibre if you want.
    I like mine because I can shoot 50gr at about 3400 and 80's at about 2900 I think. Good in the wind.
    range and dail elevation if your not already, a flat calibre can only do so much.
    Sounds like you want a new toy, and who doesn't. If not grab a spot light and take them by surprise.
    7mmsaum likes this.

What Blaser have you got, ? , possibly get a .204 barrel for it?

B

Happy I think you want/ need either a new play thing in hornet or Ruger.

Have a wee word with @North dude he's had more or these than I've had hot dinners. I do remember salivating over a 22 hornet browning with a miroku barrel in reloaders not so long ago that was as much an art treasure as functional.

Try and find a Howa 1500 mini in 223 Rem and use light weight projectiles for speed. Be a nice light weight rig to carry around.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

For versatility the 223 has the edge on the 204 only because of the heavier weights, though barrel twist can have an impact on accuracy with differing weights. A slower twist like 12 or 14 to 1 should stabilise lighter (faster) projectiles better but may not stabilise heavier ones like a 69gr etc. A faster twist like 1-7 or 1-9 may not be good enough with the lighter pills. For varminting the 204 is still my choice, 4200fps to 4400 fps (Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 204 Ruger :: 204 Ruger 24 gr NTX® Superformance) factory so if you are 1" high at 100 you have a peak at 150 of 1.2 inches and zero at 230m and 1 inch drop out at 280. That is a 2"circle hit with a zero hold over out to nearly 300 metres.

In saying that, the ultra lite and ultra fast 204 is probably not suited to game goat sized or bigger. With shot placement it could be done but there is far too much room for error so a bit more weight would be needed for that. So if shooting bunnies, hares and wild cats out to 300 and beyond then my choice is 204. But each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Try and find a Howa 1500 mini in 223 Rem and use light weight projectiles for speed. Be a nice light weight rig to carry around.
    Shooters on riccaton road had one not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    For versatility the 223 has the edge on the 204 only because of the heavier weights, though barrel twist can have an impact on accuracy with differing weights. A slower twist like 12 or 14 to 1 should stabilise lighter (faster) projectiles better but may not stabilise heavier ones like a 69gr etc. A faster twist like 1-7 or 1-9 may not be good enough with the lighter pills. For varminting the 204 is still my choice, 4200fps to 4400 fps (Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 204 Ruger :: 204 Ruger 24 gr NTX® Superformance) factory so if you are 1" high at 100 you have a peak at 150 of 1.2 inches and zero at 230m and 1 inch drop out at 280. That is a 2"circle hit with a zero hold over out to nearly 300 metres.

In saying that, the ultra lite and ultra fast 204 is probably not suited to game goat sized or bigger. With shot placement it could be done but there is far too much room for error so a bit more weight would be needed for that. So if shooting bunnies, hares and wild cats out to 300 and beyond then my choice is 204. But each to their own.
    200 to 300 is the sweet spot. 0 to 200ish have covered. Target is wild cats. hares. rabbits and peacocks. My 223 s all manage the 0 to 200 but after that it's a stretch. .17 takes the closer stuff. Have 500 acre farm to clean up . I don't want another 223.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    What Blaser have you got, ? , possibly get a .204 barrel for it?

B
    R93. Would the 223 bolt work or is it a major. Any stock in NZ ?
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If you don't want a 223/22-50/204.get a 243 and load 85/87gr.
    or
    load the 90/100gr in your 6.5.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

53gr Vmax load in the 223 gives good ballistics and terminal effects, slippery for its weight and pretty explosive.

Had a 204 and it was fun, but that particular rifle was a Savage Mod.12 varminter which weighed about 3 tons. A lighter 204 with the 40gr Vmax might be a good option. You'll want to suppress if noise is an issue though, its marginally louder than 223.
    Happy likes this.

22-250 will obviously launch the same projectiles faster than a 223 for better ballistics at the expense of more powder, more noise, shorter barrel life etc.

Personal preference I guess - I've heard of guys varminting with a 58gr 243 load if you want to get really carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    R93. Would the 223 bolt work or is it a major. Any stock in NZ ?
    I googled R93 calibres, the pdf on the Blaser websites doesn't list the .204 for the R93, only the R8.

B