Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Huk
  • 3 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By ChrisW
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Philipo
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: Loading for 375 H&H

Loading for 375 H&H

I've ordered some components and some have arrived so its time to start getting a load together for my rifle. Im going to try the 270gr speer sp to begin with as it seems like it will be a good allrounder and wont break the bank. The projectiles almost look comical to me with how bloody big they are! I've just got a Lee 3 die set to begin with (sticking with the "dont break the bank" mantra..) should I be using the crimp die and giving them a crimp since its probably going to be a heavy recoiling rifle? I have never used a crimp die before and to be honest a bit unsure about how to go about it.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

How much of a rush are you?
    The gunsmith guy at my gun club has a P14 375 H+H. He was running quite light projectiles maybe 220ish?
    Bloody flat but very accurate. Shot the odd bunny with it out past 100.
    Could see if he could pass on some ideas?

do yourself a favour and do some cast loads with trailboss.....use same volume of powder and leave it alone...be much more ummm user friendly for the wee fallow spiker up close of heaven forbid a finishing shot...or put cow down thing.
    crimping is piece of piss...make sure cases trimmemed to same length and follow instructions in loading manual...I only use one for the dirty 30 when mate needs some loading done.

Huk
    Some loads I used in my Sako 270gn hornady
    76gn 08 for 2660 +o/_

250gn sierra 76gn 08 for 2800+/_

300gn hornady 73gn 08 for2590 +/_
    csmiffy likes this.

This is the mates rifle-just emailed him so see what comes back. P14 BSA model E. Muzzle break gets it down to haha low 270 levels. Cant remember if the stock is ricks microfit or Boyds. He does manage to get the microfit ones in occasionally. They call it a piece of furniture of suchlike at the other end I think?

Name:  375 h+h.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  3.52 MB
    Micky Duck, dannyb and 308mate like this.

65gr of 2208 gave me 2600 fps with Hornady 270gr. I also made up some punishers with 70gr but didn’t Chrono them.
    csmiffy likes this.

Ryan, this may be of interest I used 2209 in mine with 270 grain Hornady soft points. Somewhere around 76 grains.
    The Hornady projectiles have a crimping grove on them so set my seating to give a gentle crimp into this groove.

To set your seating die to crimp each round evenly you want all your cases are the same length.
    Screw your seating die into the press with the ram fully up with a case in it.
    Adjust the seating stem so the projectile seats to a position where the case mouth is level at just below the top of the cannelure groove.
    Now back the seating step out a few turns and screw the die further into the press (the amount here will determine amount of crimp). You can try a bit, then a bit more etc until the crimp looks right,
    After you sort out how much crimp you want on this first round then wind the down until and lock it off.

Alternatively, using a lee crimping die will allow you to crimp anywhere on a projectile whether it has a cannelure or not.

After seeing what crimping has done for accuracy in my 300blk sub loads ill be trying it on all loads to see if it provides a benifit
    It took 30m groups from 30cm to damn near touching with no other changes

If you do go with trailboss for you may need to find a projectile that works at the reduced velocity, trail boss and hard cast bullets is a fantastic combination for low cost lower recoil rounds for shooting the heck out of it

ebf
    Ryan, get hold of Robert (shooternz) on here, he will make you some nice cast projectiles.

270gr is weenie sized ! The 45/70 eats 400 grainers for breakfast
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I have a friend with a sako 375 who loads for it. He calls me a girl for having a "puny" 9.3 but I'll risk some abuse to get a few loads. Big is always better!!!
    ebf and Micky Duck like this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Ryan you should get it "Terminated" bro, then she'll be really cool & kick some arse
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    This is the mates rifle-just emailed him so see what comes back. P14 BSA model E. Muzzle break gets it down to haha low 270 levels. Cant remember if the stock is ricks microfit or Boyds. He does manage to get the microfit ones in occasionally. They call it a piece of furniture of suchlike at the other end I think?

Attachment 140183
    @csmiffy is that big Jims rifle ?
    csmiffy likes this.

@dannyb by that comment I'd say you know him so yes. Cant be many big Jim's around with a laminate stock 375H+H that he uses on bunnies.
    Bloody good guy
    Got this back but no recommended powders. Emailed him back but I should really give him a ring. 235gr nudging 3000fps would bring the smack down hard I reckon
    "was running 270gr then moved to 235gr at 2950fps for deer, bunnies,
    wallabies etc"
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @dannyb by that comment I'd say you know him so yes. Cant be many big Jim's around with a laminate stock 375H+H that he uses on bunnies.
    Bloody good guy
    Got this back but no recommended powders. Emailed him back but I should really give him a ring. 235gr nudging 3000fps would bring the smack down hard I reckon
    "was running 270gr then moved to 235gr at 2950fps for deer, bunnies,
    wallabies etc"
    yup he's hard case and a good dude