Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: Lockdown light weight carbon wrap stock build - Here we go

Quote Originally Posted by SPEARONZ View Post
    I hope the OP doesn’t mind others adding their projects to this thread. This could become a good resource for others looking at having a go.

Thanks to Scott sending out a blank I’ve now got the shape down. Will need some finer sanding now and inletting of the bottom metal which I have been dreading.

I’m seriously considering just painting it rather than going through the wrapping process. What does the forum think?

I need to order or make a recoil lug so I have time to sit on it and decide which way to go.

For those with wooden stocks; regardless of how it is finished I will drill through to install a limbsaver. How do I prevent these holes becoming an inlet for moisture. Should I drill over size and then fill with epoxy to seal the wood then screw into the epoxy?

For the front pic rail I’ll epoxy in t nuts which should seal it.

Cheers
    Used to deal with that issue regularly when building high performance sailing dinghies. Exactly as you said, drill the hole for the pad screws oversized (say 10mm) and fill with a thickened epoxy mix. Then just drill and secure into the epoxy when cured. Solid as.

Cheers mate I’ll carbon wrap under the limbsaver too which will help.

I was blessed with being right handed but made the stock symmetrical to appease my ocd

I ended up going the carbon wrap route on this. I ran this carbon wrapped for about 9 months however I never achieved a very good finish. When doing the carbon wrapping I had trouble getting the fibre to stick evenly to the blank and there were spots that were raised up off the wood leaving a small void underneath.

Accuracy has been great with dozens of goats and a few deer taken at distance however the finish finally got to me. Over the past few weeks I sanded back most of the carbon fibre and recoated the blank in an epoxy/iron oxide mix. This left a nice gloss black finish that could easily just be clear coated. I ended up spraying it with Matt black enamel paint and I’m now pretty happy with the result.

The ‘shell’ created by the epoxy mix is strong and resists any dings/compression that the plain paulownia wood is susceptible to. I don’t think it’s any weaker than with the carbon wrap. If anyone is considering a build in the future and is not sure on going through the carbon process I would recommend this method. I will likely do the same again for a magnum build.
    Moa Hunter and Scott Cowan like this.

Name:  8852E6DE-35CB-4705-B62C-2F7B9FDB84B6.jpeg
Views: 417
Size:  139.1 KB

Name:  8C5D73AE-C77F-4014-A1BD-737E3A7B00F9.jpeg
Views: 418
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  66FC85FF-FF6A-4CFB-8A63-7D01B2482112.jpeg
Views: 413
Size:  64.1 KB
    Trout, Bill999, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

Stocks have held up well. Id use all slow drying resin next time. and Ill do a no carbon (Resin only) build and post my findings in a couple months.
    Paulownia blanks for sale $50 plus shipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Moa Hunter, dannyb and SPEARONZ like this.

Heres my effort so far. Pretty basic, but I'm pretty pleased with myself. Definitely beats the rubberised Houge alternative!

Name:  20221013_072422.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  5.36 MB
    Name:  20221013_102947.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  8.77 MB
    Name:  20221013_103953.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  7.40 MB
    Tahr, Bill999, Gibo and 5 others like this.

Great work. my next one is for a Sako75 for a friend and will be done the same, without the carbon but a few coats of resin to keep the moisture and dings out. well done on the bedding too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cowan View Post
    Great work. my next one is for a Sako75 for a friend and will be done the same, without the carbon but a few coats of resin to keep the moisture and dings out. well done on the bedding too.
    Be keen to see that @Scott Cowan as I wouldn't mind one...
    Scott Cowan likes this.

ill be starting the sako75 stock next week and will post pics
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cowan View Post
    Thanks, my resin arrived today so will be coating the stock over the weekend. Will put up photos when its done.
    superdiver and Scott Cowan like this.