Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Looking for advice on night scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    I’ve had the gcsi, have moved onto a pard thermal. The warranty on the gcsi is amazing but it doesn’t have rangefinder or Picture in Picture and the clarity isn’t as good as my pard. Have a look at the pard website there is some comparisons between the different brands for both thermal and nvg.
    Really - that is interesting
    GSCI is Canadian isn't it ??
    Sounds like the Pard is the pick over the latter entries

Yip Canadian, I’m really happy with the pard units. They are Chinese made but have French internals same as the pulsar units
    Sarvo likes this.

Still good money for the Pards. And for that money you'd have thought they could sort out the absolute crap owners manual. Garbage. There's YT guys who run through all the really useful stuff, plus Owl Optics have some decent info and links

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Still good money for the Pards. And for that money you'd have thought they could sort out the absolute crap owners manual. Garbage. There's YT guys who run through all the really useful stuff, plus Owl Optics have some decent info and links
    Yes - but isn't that typical with all Chinese mauals - absolutly useless
    Thank God for U Tube

Been using a pard nv008 for a while now. Daytime mode is a gamechanger, especially when it starts to get dark. It allows you to clearly make out game well after a top end scope has given up.
    As a NV scope it's light, and compact with it's built in IR illuminator. (which turns out to be a better than the Yukon one), has video recording, Wifi so you can see the screen from a phone or tablet, has a true one-shot zero, and happily works out past 200M without having to buy anything else.
    Downside will be the minimum magnification of 6.5x which makes scanning a large area painful. I'm getting a handheld thermal to meet the "scan a large area fast" requirement.
    Flyblown likes this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    I did think ATN was USA too
    Just don't know these days - but not that it prob matters
    China appears to be doing a good job this far
    Some of the Pulsar coming out of there too (not sure whole units but deff parts of
    Atn makes theirs in China - certainly the x sights etc - USA brand and marketing
    Funny as I get emails from the ‘old’ atn factory offering us the old x sights ...

PARD is its own brand; a lot try to copy them : seen some shockers

Happy to talk to people if you want to know something - really open about that online - but won’t say much here as I’m the PARD agent
    And not going down that rabbit hole

PARD pulsar and gsci all get their thermal cores from France

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Yes - but isn't that typical with all Chinese mauals - absolutly useless
    Thank God for U Tube
    Agreed on that - I’m re-writing it for them
    Nz copies are online now under support

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Downside will be the minimum magnification of 6.5x which makes scanning a large area painful. I'm getting a handheld thermal to meet the "scan a large area fast" requirement.
    @faregame, if you have any influence with PARD this is what I would change in a heartbeat. A 1x or 2x option for scanning an area would be a game changer. I tried with purpose made sticks for the standing position and I still found 6.5x far too much mag for picking out rimfire targets, not just FOV but DOV.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    @faregame, if you have any influence with PARD this is what I would change in a heartbeat. A 1x or 2x option for scanning an area would be a game changer. I tried with purpose made sticks for the standing position and I still found 6.5x far too much mag for picking out rimfire targets, not just FOV but DOV.
    I do and will pass that on

i can assure you the only issues with chinese ATN scopes is owner based, leaky batteries and stuck sd cards (usually with very rough housings)

On deer there seems to be less recovered animals than when using a spot light...different blokes, calibers, areas...don't know why but maybe shooting from too far away.

Can 100% say that the handheld thermal is worth it's weight in dead rabbits. Went out shooting a few paddocks that were showing no rabbits when scanning with the NV gear. Got out the thermal, and hey presto - there they all are.
    Interestingly I could walk up on the rabbits when just using the thermal, but as soon as I flicked on the NV with the 850nm illuminator, they were off. With the 940nm illuminator - just dead rabbits, shot from really close.