Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nic

Thread: Looking for a Brno vz. 24 extractor

Nic

Looking for a Brno vz. 24 extractor

Basically the title.

The extractor on my Brno vz. 24 bolt has been damaged and I'm looking for a replacement.

Cheers.

Nic
    Apparently interchangeable with a few other Mausers...

If it is a magnum cartridge I have one here for you

Nic
    Not a magnum unfortunately. It's a .257 roberts.

If it's just the tip of it that engages the rim of the case, it's possible for a good tig welder driver to lay a bit of hard rod in and build it back up. Then carefully reshape it and grind it back down...

Nic
    Yeah it's just the tip. Heard you can do that, it's currently the back up plan just seeing if I can get a replacement for now.

Round pop out of the mag ahead of the extractor and tried to close the bolt on it? I sacrificed the 'controlled round feed' bit of the Mauser design when I did mine, took a lot of the spring out of the extractor (makes it less likely to break as well as smooth the bolt cycling up with reduction in binding from the extractor inside the bolt channel) as well as removing a bit of the hook off the bottom of the extractor and giving it a bit more bevel on the front edge. The tig guy welded it up with something quite hard, not sure what grade it was but it polished up nicely and you can't tell it was repaired. It now will snap over a rim on chambering if it has to, and doesn't make so much freaking noise snapping onto and off cases. Downside is it isn't as positive, but I don't have people shooting at me and also don't have dangerous animals likely to come back at me. It's a little less positive on ejection but no issues on extraction so far and you can remove a case out of the action or drop it alongside the rifle without it getting kicked out 90m away once the ejector overcomes the spring tension. Works very well for me, might be useful info for you!

Nic
    It was actually "modified" to close on a round not picked up from the magazine and eject it etc, which worked fine until it broke...

Cheers for the info, I'm still hoping there will be an extractor or even a bolt/parts gun floating around for me (fingers crossed). Will resort to the weld and reshape if I have to.

You could try Griff at kilwell, they are the CZ agent

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    It was actually "modified" to close on a round not picked up from the magazine and eject it etc, which worked fine until it broke...

Cheers for the info, I'm still hoping there will be an extractor or even a bolt/parts gun floating around for me (fingers crossed). Will resort to the weld and reshape if I have to.
    Bugger. If it helps I can take a pic of my mod? One thing that might stuff you up here is the relief cut in the front of the receiver ring that fits around the tip of the extractor. Depending on what you have, it may or may not clear the tip of the extractor as it tries to snap over the rim when you close the bolt. My M48a did have clearance, but if yours is marginal you might be squeezing the tip of the extractor on both sides which is not great for the life of the extractor...

Nic
    Cheers, fssprecision I'll look them up.
    Fssprecision likes this.

Nic
    Yeah a picture might help if I end up going down that road, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Yeah a picture might help if I end up going down that road, thanks.
    @Nic

Name:  DSC_0725.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  2.31 MB
    Name:  DSC_0726.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  2.46 MB

Quite a bit off the back of the extractor...