Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Low recoil Factory 308 Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    I was under the impression but I'm no expert far from it that a low recoiling 308 is a 7mm08.

Doesn't help though in this case.
    I wonder what accuracy would be like. Assuming they chamber and fire...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Reiterate a decent recoil pad.
    The 8x57 I have is quite light and after a dozen shots or so the shoulder was starting to think I will have a mark later.
    Didnt have a proper screw on one but shortened for later and put the limbsaver slip-on I had on.
    It's the one with the round chambers.
    184grs nudging 2600fps (packet data) from a 24" barrel and mine is 22 and a bit I think so not far away
    Can honestly say it is now a pussycat.
    Even my mate said the same. Not very booty at all
    Wouldn't hesitate to replace the hard as rocks recoil pad on the 416 with one when I do bin it.
    Obviously doesnt do much for muzzle flip though.
    Depends 9n your shooting but if not carrying it far maybe drill out the butt and put a heap of lead shot in there.
    Micky Duck likes this.

try the 308 subsonic rounds I used to use the Winchester super x 185 gr hollow point subsonic also fiocchi does a subsonic round

try custom cartridges in taupo, Mark would sort this for them
    Micky Duck likes this.

swap for a 243 /7M08, or are they in a part of aussie that has large critters, cattle, camels etc (Sambar)
    as noted above you can get reduced load factory ammo for 308 & 7m08, however I have no idea how easy it is to ship ammo around in aussie.
    No matter what people say I would suggest that a 308 Unsuppressed is too much gun for many/most under 18's to shoot consistently well unless it's a heavy target type.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    swap for a 243 /7M08, or are they in a part of aussie that has large critters, cattle, camels etc (Sambar)
    as noted above you can get reduced load factory ammo for 308 & 7m08, however I have no idea how easy it is to ship ammo around in aussie.
    No matter what people say I would suggest that a 308 Unsuppressed is too much gun for many/most under 18's to shoot consistently well unless it's a heavy target type.
    Z

Like I mentioned in my original post , these guys are Farmers and a rifle is just permanently in the Ute and is a tool not a toy .
    To them and the majority of other property owners out west cost is everything and as a result the .223 and 308 rule the roost because of cheap ammo that can be bought in bulk . The 243 does have a bit of a following in places but the price of ammo limits it’s appeal
    They will buy some of the 130gn offerings when they go to Brisbane next and in the meantime the young fella will continue to use the .223 to good effect and Stevy the father has kind of adopted the new 308 for his own ( maybe it was a cunning plan all along ) to replace his old shot out Remington.
    Life and work on these big property’s over here ( their place is about 180,000 acres) is very different to NZ and these guys don’t really shoot for fun or a hobby, it’s just another part of their daily world of trying to raise Beef in what compared to NZ is a hostile environment .
    I agree about a light 308 without a Brake or Can being to much gun for many people . I personally have really downsized my caliber selection over the years and to be honest the .223 is my favourite for what I personally do and my “Big 6.5” hardly gets out of the safe much anymore . My place doesn’t have much large stuff to shoot , Dingoes are my nemesis and I have sworn a Vendetta against them
    and the .223 is perfect for that job.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Why not 7.62 x 39 ?. Can buy bulk ammo for them. Arguably more "knock down" than .223. Bugger all recoil. Ruger ranch/howa packages around $1000?. Job done

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Like I mentioned in my original post , these guys are Farmers and a rifle is just permanently in the Ute and is a tool not a toy .
    To them and the majority of other property owners out west cost is everything and as a result the .223 and 308 rule the roost because of cheap ammo that can be bought in bulk . The 243 does have a bit of a following in places but the price of ammo limits it’s appeal
    They will buy some of the 130gn offerings when they go to Brisbane next and in the meantime the young fella will continue to use the .223 to good effect and Stevy the father has kind of adopted the new 308 for his own ( maybe it was a cunning plan all along ) to replace his old shot out Remington.
    Life and work on these big property’s over here ( their place is about 180,000 acres) is very different to NZ and these guys don’t really shoot for fun or a hobby, it’s just another part of their daily world of trying to raise Beef in what compared to NZ is a hostile environment .
    I agree about a light 308 without a Brake or Can being to much gun for many people . I personally have really downsized my caliber selection over the years and to be honest the .223 is my favourite for what I personally do and my “Big 6.5” hardly gets out of the safe much anymore . My place doesn’t have much large stuff to shoot , Dingoes are my nemesis and I have sworn a Vendetta against them
    and the .223 is perfect for that job.
    To be quite honest, i cannot see the difference between them or anyone else who shoots a rifle, it matters not if they are shooting pest animals as a hobby or due to absolute necessity due to limited feed being eaten by feral animals rather than the stock its intended for. Same same.

What does matter, is that they are using a rifle/cartridge combo that they can actually shoot well, they will get far better results of killing stuff if they are using something that is easy and they can tolerate no problem.

If they cannot run a suppressor due to regulations, then fitting a better recoil pad will certainly help, many factory ones are shit. And a decent pad can make a bloody big difference. But you still have noise, muzzle jump and just the big shove of using a rifle/cartridge that may just be too much for the individual to tolerate (I'm referring to the young fella here).

If they cannot find reduced recoil ammo, then either they move to a smaller lower recoiling cartridge, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel etc or get some custom ammo maker (im sure there will be some over there, just as there is here) to make up some reduced loads for the 308 rifle they already have. This makes the most sense to me, then as the boy grows and can tollerate more recoil, then just move to normal full power loads. Ive already given you a known load receipe to get someone to make you some up.
    techno retard likes this.