Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By mudgripz

Thread: M Carbo springs

M Carbo springs

Does anyone know if these can be brought local or can they be brought into the country ok.
    My mate has two model 597 magazine that are causing issues that maybe solved with new springs.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

I contacted MCarbo few months back and they only sell to an import dealer here - not individuals. Changing regs in US. You could ask say Outdoor Brands in Akld if they could order some - they were the Marlin/Remington NZ agents and MCarbo make aftermarket stuff for Marlins.
    25/08 IMP likes this.

The Remmy 597 semiauto was not a huge success for Remington - it did give problems including fail-to-feed. This was feedback from NZ importer I worked with with years back.

Couple of simple things you can try. Don't load mag to max - ie if its a 10 shot, put 7 in it, or if a 5, put 4. Often helps eg with Norinco '10' shot mags. Then keep that mag well lubed. After every say 2nd use squirt in some CRC and work the follower (feed platform) up an down.

You might be able to buy a new mag from RifleMags.co.uk - BUT - you might just be buying another problem. I am suspicious when both your mate's magazines have this issue. Before buying new mags I'd be having a good hard look at the feed process from present mags into the rifle. Could be a number of little feed action (or ammo type) issues causing this fail-to-load - and not mag springs at all. Somewhere here may be able to give you advice on ammo feed tweaks..
    Last edited by mudgripz; 02-10-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    The Remmy 597 semiauto was not a huge success for Remington - it did give problems including fail-to-feed. This was feedback from NZ importer I worked with with years back.

Couple of simple things you can try. Don't load mag to max - ie if its a 10 shot, put 7 in it, or if a 5, put 4. Often helps eg with Norinco '10' shot mags. Then keep that mag well lubed. After every say 2nd use squirt in some CRC and work the follower (feed platform) up an down.

You might be able to buy a new mag from RifleMags.co.uk - BUT - you might just be buying another problem. I am suspicious when both your mate's magazines have this issue. Before buying new mags I'd be having a good hard look at the feed process from present mags into the rifle. Could be a number of little feed action (or ammo type) issues causing this fail-to-load - and not mag springs at all. Somewhere here may be able to give you advice on ammo feed tweaks..
    Awesome thanks ill pass it on.
    Im picking they have been neglected so they may just need a bloody good clean.
    Can they be pulled apart easy, i haven't seen these myself.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

not sure what to say really. Mags are all rubbish. I have one of these rifles.........tried every generation of mag. Some are better than others but over all hopeless unless you download the mags a bit then they run fine

Yep - not a great rifle. Not a patch on the preceding Remington 552 Speedmaster 22LR semi - that was/is a beauty.

A good clean can only help, and 'downloading' ie putting fewer rounds in it will reduce mag spring pressure and may help follower (feed platform) to rise more consistently - stay at right level.

Good luck. If your mate cannot sort it fairly quickly tell him trademe is his friend..
    25/08 IMP likes this.