Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Forestry

Thread: Manfrotto Pixi Mini for spotting scope

Manfrotto Pixi Mini for spotting scope

Hi- just purchased a 62mm spotting scope and looking for a cheap tripod to try it out. Longer term I値l invest in quality item but am thinking of trying the Manfrotto Pixi Mini as a lightweight tripod to get going. The spotting scope is less 920grms. I値l use for cellphone if it doesn稚 work.

Any thoughts or comments

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Hi- just purchased a 62mm spotting scope and looking for a cheap tripod to try it out. Longer term I値l invest in quality item but am thinking of trying the Manfrotto Pixi Mini as a lightweight tripod to get going. The spotting scope is less 920grms. I値l use for cellphone if it doesn稚 work.

Any thoughts or comments
    I think it won't have enough height above the ground, and also the spread diameter of the legs wont provide a stable enough base for the long heavy spotter.

Neet little tripod but only really suitable for small light action cams or to mount a cell phone camera too i reckon.

This would be more suitable for purpose. I use one of these for my Canon superzoom camera to film LR shots

https://www.harveynorman.co.nz/camer...CABEgLCjPD_BwE

Thanks GWH that looks a more versatile option. I was going to rest on a rock when Thar hunting after using the binos to find animals but your right that glassing Stags in the tussock might just end up looking at grass....
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Thanks GWH that looks a more versatile option. I was going to rest on a rock when Thar hunting after using the binos to find animals but your right that glassing Stags in the tussock might just end up looking at grass....
    Yes i often find you need to extend the legs to get a bit of height.

That tripod i linked to is the lighest weight unit i could find without going to very expensive carbon tripods.

I had one very similar to the linked one. Was fine when brand new, but rapidly fell to bits even when looked after.

Look for a Slik mini sprint or similar, hugely more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yes i often find you need to extend the legs to get a bit of height.

That tripod i linked to is the lighest weight unit i could find without going to very expensive carbon tripods.
    I have the same but find the ball and socket really niggly to get right. I think they gave a geared version that costs a little more but alot easier to adjust for super zoom stuff

You will need something a bit sturdier and with adjustable legs. Something like this is going to be a lot more useful. https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/befr...ta4cam-config/ or even this tiny one... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3268...archweb201603_

One with a pan and tilt head is better than a ballhead - bigger ballheads are more controllable, but smaller ones tend to slip or 'drift' before you can get them to lock.

Photographer's motto: For the sharpest photos, use the heaviest tripod your assistant can carry.