Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Marlin 25N

When i brought the rifle ammo was cheap and brought a slab of 5,000 rounds of Highland ammo which back then shot amazingly well out of the rifle. That didn't last long and its certainly had a fair amount through it after that.

There is a spring held between 2 collars on the firing rod.(main bolt body firing pin is separate in front section) and my thought so far is that when you start camming the bolt down against the trigger/ sear? its actually twisting the collar ever so slightly against the spring pressure then its being flicked back around? But the collar is pinned to the rod so would explain the rear of the bolt twisting.

I will try and get some better photos.

I am not sure if removing any metal from the little hill would cause firing issues as it isn't held in that position when being fired.

Cheers for all of the help so far.

Here are some photos of the bolt apart. Now i've degreased and cleaned everything i can see some marks that im guessing are from the burr around the red warning piece. Ill file those smooth.
    There also seems to be a couple little marks where the spring has dug into the collar which is normally locked in place by the small screw holding it all inside the main piece of the bolt. Very small i've tried to get the best photo possible.
    Name:  IMG_6512.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  1.76 MB
    Name:  IMG_6513.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  1.40 MB
    Name:  IMG_6514.jpeg
Views: 105
Size:  838.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ripped undies View Post
    is it just a noise or a notchy feel to it as well
    Noisy doesn't feel like its got a notch or divot its working through.

Banned
    The first photo shows the main bolt body section at top left. Does that section show any galling or binding marks, esp were a collar rotates ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The first photo shows the main bolt body section at top left. Does that section show any galling or binding marks, esp were a collar rotates ?
    Are you meaning the section enlarged in the second photo? Or where indicated in this photo. As that is where the second collar is approx. (first collar being the one next to the safety indicator red dot.) As that does show a rub mark which i think is from the red piece being press fitted and the burr around the edge. I've now filed this off and removed any burr left inside the bolt body. Thought it had improved it but must have been the way i was holding my tongue as after a couple cycles of the action back to the same sound.

Cheers
    Name:  IMG_6512.jpeg
Views: 117
Size:  1.03 MB

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    That spring looks like shit. Fix it.
    You want evenly stacked coils, and square ends. It could be that the end of the spring is gouging into the "thrust washer" or whatever is taking up it's torsion, and "clunking" out of that groove.

I assume oratia is the oratia of west auckland... surely there's someone handy with files out there that will sort this out in a jiffy.
    I'll give it a go. My guess is that since the end of the spring is digging into one of the collets it is rotating it and clocking it wrong and making it go out of line. Currently don't have any pin punches to knock the pin out of the collect but will get some once out of lockdown and have a go at rounding / flattening the end of the spring and removing the burrs.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Everywhere that was-but-no-longer-is blued on that bolt is a sliding surface.
    Like I said... doesn't look like a lot of wear so implies it's patchy contact areas. I'd say the whole fit and finish of the thing isn't exactly top spec.
    Anyway, Why is any of this a problem? Do you need to action it quietly? Are you emotionally attached to it? Sell it and buy a quieter thing?
    I never expected it to be top spec and agree it is pretty patchy on the contact areas. I didn't have the money for a flasher rifle at the time.

It out shoots me now, why sell it and buy something quieter if it only takes a little work to just make this quiet. I'm also stuck at home running out of jobs, cleaning rifles was one of them. It reminded me and thought i would have a go and see if people knew how to fix it.

I want to make it quieter as it quite audible when reloading after you've shot something like a magpie / rabbit and the rest seem to be able to hear it. Otherwise it a lovely quiet rifle. You the click of the trigger and the projectile hitting something.
    erniec likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranal View Post
    Are you meaning the section enlarged in the second photo? Or where indicated in this photo. As that is where the second collar is approx. (first collar being the one next to the safety indicator red dot.) As that does show a rub mark which i think is from the red piece being press fitted and the burr around the edge. I've now filed this off and removed any burr left inside the bolt body. Thought it had improved it but must have been the way i was holding my tongue as after a couple cycles of the action back to the same sound.

Cheers
    Attachment 178706
    The piece of the bolt assembly that is at the centre right hand side of the photo is the piece I am referring to. It is machined to accept a retaining collar. Where is the collar @Ranal ? Is the bolt assembled correctly ?
    Looking at the photos provided it looks like the collar on the firing pin should be removed, the pin slid inside the centre right piece and the collar replaced on the firing pin. As Mimms wrote the spring is rubbish and it may also be the wrong and too short spring

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The piece of the bolt assembly that is at the centre right hand side of the photo is the piece I am referring to. It is machined to accept a retaining collar. Where is the collar @Ranal ? Is the bolt assembled correctly ?
    Looking at the photos provided it looks like the collar on the firing pin should be removed, the pin slid inside the centre right piece and the collar replaced on the firing pin. As Mimms wrote the spring is rubbish and it may also be the wrong and too short spring
    As far as i can see on the parts diagram it is assembled correctly. Prior to this it had never been apart so unless it came from the factory incorrectly. The striker, spring and collars all slide in from the left held in place with a screw. Other piece just slots on indexed by a pin.
    Did a bit of googling for pictures of Marlin bolts and came across this video. Spring seems to be just the same when he pulls it apart. https://youtu.be/8KSdhEJ1_xo?t=287
    Also shows how i can get it apart to remove the burrs from the collar.

Thanks for all of the help. I'll just keep chucking ammo through it and see if it finally wears in more.
    Name:  pix616470866.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  117.6 KB