Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Mauser M18

northdude
    sorry to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Ended up buying a Kimber
    Which model - if not mind me asking
    Ignore above- poor chap just green

northdude
    mauser owner admittedly older ones
    Sarvo likes this.

Had a go on a Steyr Scout rifle the other day wow bloody neat
    Name:  2FCC01CC-46F1-47DB-B78C-95D3EE37DC48.jpeg
Views: 560
Size:  71.1 KB
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Had a go on a Steyr Scout rifle the other day wow bloody neat
    Attachment 112519
    You obviousy not the only one who likes them (fugly in my eye)
    This guy went $1 reserve now look at it with 6 days still to run

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2169377732

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Which model - if not mind me asking
    Ignore above- poor chap just green
    Got a 6.5 Creedmoor Hunter off another forum member. Looking forward to experimenting with it.
    Sarvo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    A 'real deal' Mauser is an M98 and it'll cost anywhere between $8-$50k+ for a new one.

The M12 and Tikka T3 fit in the same boat. And that boat has no life rafts; has a giant hole in the hull; and it's sinking rapidly. Oh, and any survivors will be eaten by sharks.
    Dude you don’t no shit about either rifle if you think there the same , they are not even in the same ball park , the M12 is very well made if you get the opportunity to use one give it a go iv got 2 , i would imagine they would be close to a sako but iv never used one so don’t no , the triggers on the M12 are superb.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

My comment was tongue in cheek. Sorry.

The M12 is great for what it is. And yes, I'd place it above the Tikka T3 in build quality too, although performance wise, I imagine they'd be equal. I've owned a Sako 85, a couple of 75's and a T3 and M55 Tikka, and all had exceptional triggers and barrels.

What I've been trying to say in this thread (in my excessively opinionated way) is that while most modern factory guns function incredibly well - even your humble Ruger American - it's a bit disingenuous of a company such as 'Mauser' (who have built their long-standing reputation on a couple of tried and tested designs - tested in the most demanding of arenas: combat & dangerous game hunting in Africa) to then come out with new, 'cost-cut' designs, for the sake of profit - but then use terminology in their marketing campaigns which draws upon their older actions! They're constantly going on about 'original' this, and 'no frills' that...but the irony is that they had all that in their M98 action. That's what Mauser was about, and it's what has kept their reputation in-tact to this day. But you've now got to take out a mortgage for the original.

The M12 could effectively be made by any company. It's a great rifle. But there's nothing uniquely 'Mauser' about it, other than the logo.

But it probably doesn't mean anything to you, or 99% of people - but it's something I've picked on. To me 'Mauser' means clunky, rugged, and faithful to an age-old tried/tested design. But that's just personal opinion.

But perhaps the M12 is the beginning of something new for them. They're certainly great value for money, and probably leave nothing to be desired as a solid work-horse.

If you get a chance, put a Tikka M55 beside a T3, or a Mauser 98 beside an M12/M03/M18. While the newer models will have strengths of their own, I think you'll find that the older models capture the 'essence' of the original concept much better - warts and all.

Performance is everything now. And I don't think build quality is what it used to be. Same goes for optics, clothes etc. It's a throw-away world.
    Last edited by Frodo; 02-06-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Yep it’s not winning any Beauty contests but it sure can shot and it’s got a very slick bolt
    Not a great fan of the bipod thing but heyho
    Sarvo likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    My comment was tongue in cheek. Sorry.

The M12 is great for what it is. And yes, I'd place it above the Tikka T3 in build quality too, although performance wise, I imagine they'd be equal. I've owned a Sako 85, a couple of 75's and a T3 and M55 Tikka, and all had exceptional triggers and barrels.

What I've been trying to say in this thread (in my excessively opinionated way) is that while most modern factory guns function incredibly well - even your humble Ruger American - it's a bit disingenuous of a company such as 'Mauser' (who have built their long-standing reputation on a couple of tried and tested designs - tested in the most demanding of arenas: combat & dangerous game hunting in Africa) to then come out with new, 'cost-cut' designs, for the sake of profit - but then use terminology in their marketing campaigns which draws upon their older actions! They're constantly going on about 'original' this, and 'no frills' that...but the irony is that they had all that in their M98 action. That's what Mauser was about, and it's what has kept their reputation in-tact to this day. But you've now got to take out a mortgage for the original.

The M12 could effectively be made by any company. It's a great rifle. But there's nothing uniquely 'Mauser' about it, other than the logo.

But it probably doesn't mean anything to you, or 99% of people - but it's something I've picked on. To me 'Mauser' means clunky, rugged, and faithful to an age-old tried/tested design. But that's just personal opinion.

But perhaps the M12 is the beginning of something new for them. They're certainly great value for money, and probably leave nothing to be desired as a solid work-horse.

If you get a chance, put a Tikka M55 beside a T3, or a Mauser 98 beside an M12/M03/M18. While the newer models will have strengths of their own, I think you'll find that the older models capture the 'essence' of the original concept much better - warts and all.

Performance is everything now. And I don't think build quality is what it used to be. Same goes for optics, clothes etc. It's a throw-away world.
    well said see where your going with this , i have 2 m98s an old brno and a newish zastava both are what i would call "agricultural" and neither have let me down i would love to own a new mauser but the calibre selection on the m18 rules them out for me ( if i want a euro rifle its gonna have to be a classic euro calibre)when i saw the prices of a new m98 that pretty much removed them from my wishlist .so one day i will buy an m03 or m12.....quite like the trail version of either model with the short barrel in a classic euro calibre
    Frodo and Sarvo like this.

Wow
    Obviously something in these I cannot see :-)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...7732&archive=1

Any you enthusiasts care to explain ??

Wow
    Obviously something in these I cannot see :-)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...7732&archive=1

Any you enthusiasts care to explain ??
    they dropped the man licker part of their name ........