Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Minimum legal barrel length and overall length for firearms

Howsabout just having a nice normal length gun? 762mm is hardly a punt gun now is it... Is this purely fashion? something for 3 gun playtime? or have you lot taken to wearing overcoats and hanging around banks

Reading these things makes me wonder if people WANT to have greter restrictions placed on firearms owners - take the piss and you get noticed and legislation gets put in place to cover the loophole - and probably erodes the status quo at the same time.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    @digit and spanners, bear in mind the armourer is giving an opinion that may or may not be legally correct, only a court can decide that I believe. Given they lost on the pistol grip thing I'd suggest that if a suppressor is permanently fitted in such a way that if it or the bit its attached to was removed the gun was made in-operable I'd expect it to be legal, the law seems very precise to me. Guess you need to make one and wave it in front of your AO and see how it works out for you....

Another thought, if the barrel and suppressor was machined in one piece how doesnt that work? or what about a barrel with a total length overbarrel suppressor?
    My reasoning to go super short is to keep all bullets subsonic, there is no need for another 6+ inches of barrel - maintaining legal OAL isnt really an issue.
    A sub 10" barrel gun point like shit anyway
    Porting the barrel to reduce velocity doesnt really work due to jacket damage and backboring relies on the bore being perfectly down the centre
    The prob has been overcome in other ways, its now down to building another gas 45ACP to put into practice
    Gun job #241 on the list

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    Howsabout just having a nice normal length gun? 762mm is hardly a punt gun now is it... Is this purely fashion? something for 3 gun playtime? or have you lot taken to wearing overcoats and hanging around banks

Reading these things makes me wonder if people WANT to have greter restrictions placed on firearms owners - take the piss and you get noticed and legislation gets put in place to cover the loophole - and probably erodes the status quo at the same time.
    I'm short and skinny and I like my guns the same way, and there's no logical reason why I shouldn't be allowed to

Pinning with a blob of weld drilled thru the suppressor thread and barrel thread would work too. if your supp was alloy an alloy tig would be the business, then at least a gunsmith would be able to remove it for maintance if nessary

hehe, i was tempted to ask the AO when he turns up to check things, but he might look at me funny..........

LOL, all these odd questions....like can a stripper clip be loaded in a car and whats the min gun length incl supressor....he might just carry my sad ass away there and then and introduce me to bubba my new best friend I dont need....

better to ask and know I say.

Bear in mind we are more up to date than most police officers, Im pretty sure that the "check your thumbhole"poster is still up in our police station
    It pays not to piss the bear off tho, sometimes they try to bite

Id really like to practice on a sks first, but chopping down their gass system may be hard with the piston set up
    in the end the whole rifle would cost what a barrel would for an ar15

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post

So what just don't be different?

@beavis, hehehe Ive asked my AO some Qs, "I'll get back to you" .........

@cyclist, sometimes ppl like to play with things to see how they work/ work out...surely asking means we want to be legal?

SiB
    So what's the story with pistol-grip (no shoulder stock at all) on a shottie (mav 88 or whatever) for example. Is the gun not legal at all or just in no-mans-land? (they work out to be over the 764mm limit)

Caretaker
    THe latest Hunting and Fishing cattledog has a whole page of "Tactical" shotguns with pistol grips.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

SiB
    Yeah I looked at them - they all have shoulder stocks. It's the pistol-grip option alone ie no shoulder stock whatsoever that I'm unsure about.

If it's over 762mm it's fine.

A pistol is 'under 762mm or designed or adapted to be fired with one hand'

Pretty hard to fire a 762mm long 12g one handed

PGO shotguns suck at everything though

iv had one of those 12ga 8 shot Mossbergs with just a pistol grip on.
    very dangerous to fire with one hand let alone incredibly hard to take the weight
    firing it one handed it nearly hit me in the face
    utterly useless gun, with out the shouldering capability it is nearly impossible to hit anything
    took it off and put the original stock back on.
    308 likes this.

Had a burn on a 590 with just a PG. Heaps of fun but as everyone else said good for fuck all.