Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: modern air rifles

res
    It has a linkage so I would say it is much easier to cock that any break barrel I have tried of similar power.

Yea,from youngs-I looked at importing it myself but by the time he cut his price a little it was not worth the drama-and having NZ backup seemed worth the small difference in price.

I mostly shoot targets with it at home to practice shooting fundamentals on the cheep but it has smoked a few possums and a mouse that was in my yard at the wrong time.
    Using Tapatalk

Wild...

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    It has a linkage so I would say it is much easier to cock that any break barrel I have tried of similar power.

Yea,from youngs-I looked at importing it myself but by the time he cut his price a little it was not worth the drama-and having NZ backup seemed worth the small difference in price.

I mostly shoot targets with it at home to practice shooting fundamentals on the cheep but it has smoked a few possums and a mouse that was in my yard at the wrong time.
    sounds good. im the same mostly just some targets from my house, maybe the odd critter that stops by.

Airguns are like most firearms - they can be tweeked and accurised quite a bit. Take a second hand gamo CFX .22 for $400. Get it serviced at youngs, also get a GRT drop in trigger for $40 and you'll have an underlever that shoots almost as good as a pcp. You can even replace the main spring with a gas piston.

Best break barrel out of the box is the Cometa Fenix - you can get em around $400 second hand, $600 new. They make 1/2" groups at 25y. Thats the benchmark for airguns. To make a single hole you need to A - be good, and B - have a $3000+ Steyr LG100 or an Airarms Ev2.

My favorite airgun of all time was a Diana Airking .22. The one and only airgun I ever managed to shoot a 5 shot sub MOA group with. Heavy and it killed scopes. BTW dont go putting regular scopes on these things. Airguns need brands of optics like "Leapers, Hawke, Falcon, Meuler".
    bully likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    so what do you know?
    +1 for the Cometa, very accurate straight out of the box and there's some good deals about. $599 with scope from Youngs at the moment.

http://www.youngsairgun.co.nz/catalogue/airguns&acc.pdf

Weihrauch are fantastic for target shooting.

If you're in Auckland there's the Howick Air Rifle Club which shoots indoor every 2nd Thursday night from 7pm, walk ins are welcome. There's an outdoor club North Harbour AirGun club who shoot in Greenhithe every 2nd Sunday.

Wellington wise there's Ngiao club who shoot regularly, and coming up later this year NZ are hosting the World Field Target CHamps - those knockdown targets where you hit the centre paddle and the target falls down. Quite challenging to do with an air rifle, in the wind, uphill through a bush at distance.

nzairgun.com - Index
    for the NZ forum. You might even snag a bargain buying one 2nd hand that has already been tuned, etc.

Fulla
    kscott, what model is that? I don't see any for that exact price.

Fulla
    I just got my old one out, its a hasen 55. and for some strange reason it seems to be working now. before it would good pfft, and the pellet wouldn't move. it seemed ok so put a pellet in and it fired it.
    why would it do that, I figured if a seal was buggered that was it.

Ruger arrived today...what I can say is FUCKEN LOUD!!

Cometas are gd, its like anything your better off buying quality 2nd hand than new s*%t. Air arms, Diana, HW early BSA's or webleys etc. The gas pistion (think car boot strut instead of spring) HW 90?s are very cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    ... break barrel ...make 1/2" groups at 25y. Thats the benchmark for airguns. To make a single hole you need to A - be good, and B - have a $3000+ Steyr LG100 or an Airarms Ev2....
    you mean like this?

Daystate 40ft-lb Air Wolf sending a ~19gr .22 pellet at over 900fps. Punches a good 30mm into macro. Total death to maggies under 60yds, best so far 98yds. You can see why they require a firearms licence for these
    gadgetman likes this.

That's pretty much as good as I've ever seen man, well done.

The best pellets by far for a medium powered airgun (before you go lookin' for eugins) I found were the H&N barracudas. Same as the X-field. Up close I used to prefer the jsb exacts.

I always did think these needed a FAL but lots of others were (still are) buttsore over the FAL move. I wonder what the move did for 10/22 sales lol

If you want a quality spring powered air rifle you cant go wrong with a Weihrauch (pronounced vi-A-rak) accurate and will last you a lifetime. Airarms and BSA are another couple of good makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    That's pretty much as good as I've ever seen man, well done.

The best pellets by far for a medium powered airgun (before you go lookin' for eugins) I found were the H&N barracudas. ..
    By reputation, that is so and that's why I tried them first but they didn't shoot near as well in mine.
    Bonus is the Cometas (which are repackaged JSBs) are far cheaper

Ive got a Gamo big cat , 18th birthday impulse buy, no research on it . I just saved money then pointed and choose that one ... After getting fed up with the long pull and unpredictability of the gamo trigger I dropped a grt-4g trigger in it .And now i can shoot golf balls off the fence about 30 metres away.I think the groups are just under an inch using h&n Field target trophy pellets 8.64gr and the barracudas. still need to upgrade the scope one day

I have a weihrauch 97k it's a really well made and super accurate.