Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: new 300 wsm

I should qualify my little piss take about Kimbers. The early Montana short actions had a bad run, especially with 7-08 & 260. In fact I think that they stopped producing 260 in the end. Some of them were inconsistent accuracy wise and had feeding problems. The 308 and 243 seemed ok in the accuracy department. By accuracy I mean that the "faulty" ones were nearly impossible to get to shoot groups under 1.5 inches. I had personal experience with 2 of these, and it left a bad taste. Buggers of things.

I fully accept that these problems seem to have been fixed.

I have a Kimber Montana 300wsm. And I must of got one that shoots well. Awesome light weight gun shoots great

Quote Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
    Im not spending $3200 on a...from what iv seen, not that impressive rifle. Yeah the finnlight is nice. But at that price il build something better I think lol. Sticking at $1500-2000 for this one
    I keep forgetting how expensive your rifles are there. Here both finnlight and montana are just over $2k new

Finnlight should be $2200-2400 here, we get fucked by Beretta NZ (thanks, BerettaNZ), it's almost worth importing yourself one from somewhere else if you want it.
    Wirehunt likes this.

I am not sure that any of the replacements you mention are upgrades. A good Tikka is as good a rifle as you get. A Sauer 202 outback would maybe be an upgrade, but at what price? Stick with the Tikka.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Ejected
    A mates got the X bolt in 308 and it seems to be going well.

Put a can on the Kimber and they seem to tighten the groups up (Headcases Montana 243) a lot. Mine (Montana 260) had the feed issue but that got fixed. It isn't a tack driver, but then I got a bit hacked off the front and it makes a great bush slut which is where I do my deer stalking.

I'd never buy another finnlight. Simple reason is they are just not worth what we get robbed for them. Sauer at the same price wins by a mile.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    X bolt is crap
    von tempsky fan and Pnumatix like this.
    Addicted to gun powder

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    X bolt is crap
    Because?

Mine's fine.

This is my A7 the stock its tinny shit but it feels good and shoots better. I just epoxied some carbon fibre in the fore end channel hopefully fixes it.
    if you are spending $2000 go tikka and put an after market stock on it. Tikka + bell & carson $1600 and that would be way better than a A7

Name:  IMG_0323.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  585.9 KBName:  IMG_0327.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  528.4 KBName:  IMG_0328.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  638.0 KB
    Last edited by username; 06-04-2013 at 06:24 PM.