Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New Binos???

I think we can get a bit hung up on paying big dollars for small gains. Lot of the time you pay for the name to some degree, not to say they aren't good because they are but like Tahr said are they better to the tune of $1500 dollars, I doubt it. I dropped my old Binos a while back and stuffed the internal workings but have just won a pair of Steiner Observer 10x42's through the Beretta Comp in the NZ Hunter Magazine. Nice bino's definitely a big step up on the Bushnells.
    Tahr and bigbear like this.

Yeah I think we do get hung up on the big names to some degree but if you are going to spend $1000-$2000 on binos, where do you put your trust that the product is the quality you are paying for? This is exactly why I asked the question and there have been some very good feedback.

I'll definitely look into these other options before jumping into the Leicas or Zeiss.
    Tahr likes this.

Now you can’t go past that for an endorsement cheers @Tahr I’ll also look into the these.
    Tahr likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

One easy test you can do if you want to test binos is to set up a news paper at a certain distance and see which binos allow you to still be able to read the fine prints. Another one is to look at the extremities of a tree, and with lower quality binos there will be some fine twigs that you may not be able to see but that the superior quality binos will pick up.

The other test is at dusk ( but no shops are open that late at this time of the year), and that is when you see the difference the best between top of the range and middle range binos. I did it ounce with my el and the Steiner of a friend of mine. I easily had an extra 10 minutes of visibility on small items with mine.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I don't buy into the theory that there isn't a big difference between the top tier stuff and the mid-range offerings. The differences may not be of much consequence to you, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I've owned Swaro EL, Zeiss Victory FL, and Leica Geovids and even between those higher end models there were some notable differences with respect to their strengths and weaknesses.

Do you need to spend 3k+? Not at all. But if you're willing to throw down some dough you'll never regret the quality, and they'll last a lifetime. The extra $$ may not translate to more animals seen, but if you love a nice viewing experience, that extra money will certainly buy you more comfort (ergonomics) and a truly beautiful, sparkling image. Whether that incremental step up in optical quality is worth the cost? I think it is.

Also - you can purchase second hand top tier binos for $1400+...so I don't see much point in buying mid-range binos. Especially from the top brands. Get a secondhand pair and look after them. For $200-ish they can also be sent back to the factory for a full refurbishment. And just like that, you've got a 'brand new' pair of top of the line glasses for a fraction of the retail price.

The likes of Leupold I can understand, because they still come cheaper than secondhand top tier binos, and you get good glass with a great warranty. For some they fit the bill perfectly. Utimately, that's all that really matters.

My suggestion would be to try a bunch side by side before you commit to a pair. Otherwise you may keep wondering "what if". Selling optics isn't very economical...
    7mmsaum, Danny and suthy like this.

I agree that you can't compare mid range with top tier, but the truth is that there are some excellent binos in the top tier that are also great value. Top tier does not mean "price" to me, it means performance and build quality. Leupold are mid range at best.

There are some surprises here for the Euro-snobs

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ra...ing-10x42.html

This is a good testing site. I have a pair of the Vanguards (made in China, and rated 7th) and they are excellent optically but they don't quite have the build quality. The Tract are way better than the Vanguard in all respects.
    Frodo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I agree that you can't compare mid range with top tier, but the truth is that there are some excellent binos in the top tier that are also great value. Top tier does not mean "price" to me, it means performance and build quality. Leupold are mid range at best.

There are some surprises here for the Euro-snobs

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ra...ing-10x42.html

This is a good testing site. I have a pair of the Vanguards (made in China, and rated 7th) and they are excellent optically but they don't quite have the build quality. The Tract are way better than the Vanguard in all respects.
    Yep, agree.

That's a neat website. They did some tests on Leica binos and found that several of their test pairs had issues with waterproofing. In fact all of the top Euro models had some niggles when pushed to the max.
    Tahr likes this.

There is also the human factor, everyone's eyes are different and what some people may find fine others hate. There is a large range to choose from out there now so the only way to know for sure if they suit you is to try them.
    Tahr and Sideshow like this.

@Tahr Well you had me pretty sold on trying these out but after a few emails back and forth to Tract (who are very quick at responding!) they are out of stock of the 10x42's until at least mid Feb and the 8x42's until mid May.

There new model has SCHOTT glass as well...
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suthy View Post
    @Tahr Well you had me pretty sold on trying these out but after a few emails back and forth to Tract (who are very quick at responding!) they are out of stock of the 10x42's until at least mid Feb and the 8x42's until mid May.

There new model has SCHOTT glass as well...
    That's a bugger. Mine are the new model with the Schott glass. Had them since October.
    suthy likes this.

@Tahr Now you're just making me jealous
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I don't buy into the theory that there isn't a big difference between the top tier stuff and the mid-range offerings. The differences may not be of much consequence to you, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I've owned Swaro EL, Zeiss Victory FL, and Leica Geovids and even between those higher end models there were some notable differences with respect to their strengths and weaknesses.

Do you need to spend 3k+? Not at all. But if you're willing to throw down some dough you'll never regret the quality, and they'll last a lifetime. The extra $$ may not translate to more animals seen, but if you love a nice viewing experience, that extra money will certainly buy you more comfort (ergonomics) and a truly beautiful, sparkling image. Whether that incremental step up in optical quality is worth the cost? I think it is.

Also - you can purchase second hand top tier binos for $1400+...so I don't see much point in buying mid-range binos. Especially from the top brands. Get a secondhand pair and look after them. For $200-ish they can also be sent back to the factory for a full refurbishment. And just like that, you've got a 'brand new' pair of top of the line glasses for a fraction of the retail price.

The likes of Leupold I can understand, because they still come cheaper than secondhand top tier binos, and you get good glass with a great warranty. For some they fit the bill perfectly. Utimately, that's all that really matters.

My suggestion would be to try a bunch side by side before you commit to a pair. Otherwise you may keep wondering "what if". Selling optics isn't very economical...
    Agree. Second hand doesn’t mean second string. I bought some Swarovski here for under 1k. Like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Its difficult comparing optics in good light and clear atmospheric conditions and near useless while standing in a shop. . The value generally becomes apparent when conditions are far from best. Looking into a shady hill with the sun rising in your face often sorts the wheat from the chaff and low sun angles with a lot of haze or just generally poor light.
    Sarvo likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Agree. Second hand doesn’t mean second string. I bought some Swarovski here for under 1k. Like new.

You STOLE them not bought them :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    You STOLE them not bought them :-)
    I’d like to think so... they’re a beautiful little pair. Amazing clear glass.

Dan M