Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: new gun, any recommendations?

Yeah +1 on the 308 tip. It's a good calibre for newbies and a good handy calibre all round. Failing that a 7mm08.

+1 For Tikka lots of after market bits as with Remington , hard ot beat Tikka off the shelf for the money .
    You Tube

Gun Explodes ...: opps look's like a well none American rifle

Rifle burst test - Remington, Browning, Sako, Blaser, Mannlicher, Antonio Zoli, Howa, Tikka , American again .

The thing I have against the tikka T3 is the recoil pad that it comes with direct from the factory a thin bit of rubber over a bit of solid plastic and they call that a recoil pad? I have experienced the tikka t3 lite with stock recoil pad once I may as well have shot a magnum round, even the ruger m77 hawkeye has a nicer recoil pad even though that is thin it is more pleasant to shoot than the tikka. I just flat out refuse to buy anything that I have to spend an extra $80 just to be able to shoot the damn thing comfortably especially when paying over a grand for something like that. While I do not doubt the quailty of them you will never find one in my gun safe.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

All just individual opinions ,i like them just the way they are, and shoot Tikka and finnlight in 30 cal mag.

Your not a closet tikka collector are you hunter 308?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    The thing I have against the tikka T3 is the recoil pad that it comes with direct from the factory a thin bit of rubber over a bit of solid plastic and they call that a recoil pad? I have experienced the tikka t3 lite with stock recoil pad once I may as well have shot a magnum round, even the ruger m77 hawkeye has a nicer recoil pad even though that is thin it is more pleasant to shoot than the tikka. I just flat out refuse to buy anything that I have to spend an extra $80 just to be able to shoot the damn thing comfortably especially when paying over a grand for something like that. While I do not doubt the quailty of them you will never find one in my gun safe.
    NZHTR likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Your not a closet tikka collector are you hunter 308?
    Hell no .......FYM!!!!
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Marlin 7-08 would be my call, use lighter pills to start with if its to much recoil...but its pretty mild
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

New hunter you probably don't no if you coming or going . Poor guy we have waffled so much he won't no what to buy . He'll either come out of the gun shop with 10 guns or a bow and arrow .

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    New hunter you probably don't no if you coming or going . Poor guy we have waffled so much he won't no what to buy . He'll either come out of the gun shop with 10 guns or a bow and arrow .
    or with a monster cannon like I saw get sold to a newbee the other day....He wanted a gun with grunt but was new to rifles ... he walked out with a 300RUM as a first centerfire rifle
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    or with a monster cannon like I saw get sold to a newbee the other day....He wanted a gun with grunt but was new to rifles ... he walked out with a 300RUM as a first centerfire rifle

I swear some of these gun shop owners don't have a clue.

I'd recommend a Howa 1500 in 243 or 7mm08. Very cheap and decent action. As has been said though, try a few and see which you like the feel of.

Probably fitted with a cheep gun shop branded 3 - 9 power scope on cheep shitty mounts and they be telling him he'll be shooting deer at 800- 10000 yards .

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I wouldn't buy a Tikka. I have never owned one and never fired one. Nice rifles but if something falls off, breaks, or gets lost you have to go all the way back to Finland to get it sorted. I still say Remington 700 in 308. They have good pads on them so recoil shouldn't be a problem. Wear earmuffs when practicing and the recoil won't seem as bad.
    the tikka factory is 16368 km away. the remington factory is 14188 km away
    1800 extra km isnt that much further.
    tikkas are fine rifles. remingtons are fine rifles. I own both.
    I rate them really highly. and I use my tikka alot more than my remington.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    the tikka factory is 16368 km away. the remington factory is 14188 km away
    1800 extra km isnt that much further.
    tikkas are fine rifles. remingtons are fine rifles. I own both.
    I rate them really highly. and I use my tikka alot more than my remington.
    Well said.

Groan. Welcome to "Flinchville". Poor Bugger- prob take him 6 months to figure out he's not the problem......and another 6 months to get rid of the flinch.

Mate buy a 6.5x55.
    T3 is awesome or a sako.
    Think ruger make them .
    Look into them they are a great all round cal
    Good BC and a good talking point.
    Not much gets away .
    Vapour likes this.