Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New Hardy suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    come on mike get the gorse out your pocket.....................

you sould hav a prize for polls an the amout of new topics on suppressors

Certanly a very hot topic on here, never had one myself unless you count the small plastic thing that came on the end of my JW
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well I've just had a prompt e-mail reply from the Hushpro man about his. Cheaper than the Hardy (new model) ones by a good margin, about the same weight and length, and doesn't have the bush at the back to mark the barrel. Anyone know anything about them? He sells them through Hamills and Serious Shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    come on mike get the gorse out your pocket.....................

you sould hav a prize for polls an the amout of new topics on suppressors
    Got the gorse ready, its just which one to spend it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Well I've just had a prompt e-mail reply from the Hushpro man about his. Cheaper than the Hardy (new model) ones by a good margin, about the same weight and length, and doesn't have the bush at the back to mark the barrel. Anyone know anything about them? He sells them through Hamills and Serious Shooters.
    How does the hushpro one align/whatever with the barrel at the rear end?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I've heard plenty of accounts of failures from almost every suppressor maker in NZ, and I've had one myself with an Australian suppressor, for full disclosure
    Surely not the $700 one???

Yep. Couldn't take the muzzle pressure from 14.5" barrel it seems and a baffle came loose.

However you're never going to get a better product if you keep saying "Well it works well enough for me, I'm not trying anything new or different"

How does the hushpro one align/whatever with the barrel at the rear end?
    There's a cut away drawing on the front page. It seems to float for the back 4" like the Schultz and Larsen ones.

Hushpro home page

However you're never going to get a better product if you keep saying "Well it works well enough for me, I'm not trying anything new or different"
    Agreed. What did he have to say about it? PM if you prefer.

I've got an old gen greystone, 2 gunworks, my next will probably be one of the new greystone versions. All of these have worked well, no issues. No dealings with Hardy cans but if you were looking at sending your rifle to chch either of the above would serve you well

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Agreed. What did he have to say about it? PM if you prefer.

I'm waiting for Australian Import permits apparently, and recieving a full refund when I get that and ship the failed can back.

I have had the other one fitted to my .223AI but I haven't tested it yet. The failed one worked really well for the first 15 rounds then halfway through the next mag I noticed something wrong. Clearly had bullet impact at the blast baffle as the tube is slighly bulged and dented out at that point. The metal finish could use some improvement.

I've also got a NZ-made 150mm long 330gm all-stainless centrefire muzzle can to test but :effort:

I'll let you know what I think as I'm getting a DanCan this week.
    I've got a Gunworks EBS that I'm really happy with, but didn't go back to Gunworks because Robbie was so busy that he didn't have time to talk about this project (I know they must get plenty of time wasters, but....). I'm cutting down a 7mmRemMag to 21 inch and "Gunworks office staff" said that is too short. I'm only planning to shoot this one to 700 yards so think if I can get a 162SST at 2950-3000 f/sec it will get the job done. It's my "Bush Gun", bush hunting but also with plenty of clearings at 500-700 yards.
    Dan was good to talk to, but has been alittle slow getting it done, but will see when I get it back this week. Also getting half cock and safety on half cock done.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I agree about being too short - muzzle pressure is going to be through the roof (IIRC Quickload can give you this info pretty accurately?) - recipe for a rifle grenade IMO

We should expect a followup on this ~ Xmas then??

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    There's a cut away drawing on the front page. It seems to float for the back 4" like the Schultz and Larsen ones.

Hushpro home page
    I have one of his New 17HMR one coming this week. They are built the same way as his centrefire ones, so can give a good description later in the week.

I agree about being too short - muzzle pressure is going to be through the roof (IIRC Quickload can give you this info pretty accurately?) - recipe for a rifle grenade IMO
    Dan told me they test them on a 16 inch barrel with no problems.......... I've got a crash helmet! do you think I shoot with that on.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I have one of his New 17HMR one coming this week. They are built the same way as his centrefire ones, so can give a good description later in the week.
    Suppressor arrived yesterday and as I was outside for work today was able to test it as well. It has been sized for .17 calibre so it cant fire anything else.
    weighs 255gms on the scales and 200mm long x 38mm dia. it mounts only on the thread up against the barrel with the overbarrel bit just floating.
    Not surprisingly performance on the 17hmr was really good.
    On the way home I stopped at an engineering friend workshop and pulled it to bits. Basically it is a one piece cast alloy body that has then had a small amount of machining done to make it fit snugly against the outer sleeve, with a cap fitted to the end. The cast section is a classic baffle style as can be seen in the front page of their website.
    The centrefire version is a little larger in diameter and length according to the website.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-12-2012, 05:49 AM