Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New Hunter Firearms

Personally I would spend some time with a few guys and go hunting to learn the ropes and try some guns, or do a NZDA Hunts course. And then get a feel for what models and calibres are popular. Any decent rifle should work and I wouldnt recommend anything less that a 25/6.5 calibre for a beginner. 7.08, 308, 6.5x55 would all be a good start if you can comfortably handle the recoil. A decent 303 in a sporting stock is perfectly adequate for most hunting, but is regarded as too old school by most guys. However I would spend the minimum required to get a reasonable rifle, but the maximum possible to put a good scope on it. No need for for a varipower, 3x or 4x will work in most hunting situations, are probably more reliable, and less confusing to a beginner. Weaver is excellent value for money, Leupold make good scopes with plenty of choices, but the Varix1 leaves a lot to be desired. The scopes supplied in some of the rifle/scope packages are crap, buy a bare rifle and put a good scope in good mounts on it. Good luck, and have some fun.